Progress so far....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by glynmitch, Jun 3, 2006.

1. glynmitch

glynmitch New Member

Some of you might remember that I started on my own a few months back. Well, I'd just like to report that (touch wood) everything is going GREAT so far. Had a bit of a quiet start but I think that was just due to my name not being known then.

I put a box ad in my local paper which also covers another two surrounding areas and had loads of work from it. I have also started doing work for a joiner/contractor in Aberdeen and he says he will give me all his plumbing & heating work.

The job I was working at this last week for said contractor has also turned up another job. The client is very happy with my work (only roughed in so far) and they have passed on my business card to their friends who are about to renevate their whole house. This will include kitchen, 2 bathrooms, boiler upgrade/move and replace all rads.

I wondered if I was doing the right thing packing in a perfectly good job with decent pay to take a chance on working for myself. I needn't have worried, things are definately looking up.

And the best bit? Not having to do overtime. I work 5 days a week and rarely a Saturday morning. Bliss!

Glyn

2. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

Great to hear about your success - hope it continues :)

3. PhilGPS

PhilGPS New Member

the begining of the yar is slow for most trades. just make sure you don't spend all your money on xmas and plan to be busy in the new year as most people are skint themselves thanks to old st nic

4. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

Good for you glynmitch. Just be aware of the dreaded december/january slump. I usually go away in january as it can be so quiet. Last year I advertised as a 24/7 emergency plumber, phone rang quite a lot and kept the cash flow going. Don't like going out a 4am though, but £100 a job, better return than bathrooms over the long term.

5. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Glad to hear it Glyn, Just done the same thing myself and likewise wondered if I had made the right decision, I came back from holiday last Monday and I had 2 smallish jobs and a full bathroom for a relative and asked to weigh up another job which is not bad for starters as I haven't advertised yet. Really miss the van at the moment, I find it difficult to work out of my estate but am changing to a van shortly. Also trying to get my head round bookeeping, hoping my wife will look after it. All the best Glyn.

6. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Glad to hear it Glyn, Just done the same thing myself
    and likewise wondered if I had made the right
    decision,

Really miss the van at the moment, I find it
    difficult to work out of my estate but am changing to
    a van shortly. Also trying to get my head round
    bookeeping,

Glyn, Sam, me too (7weeks now..... ), took Voluntary Redundancy, giving up Paid leave, Pension, Flex Time, Sick Pay, 1 Hour lunches, money in the bank on the 23rd of each month. Crums, what have I done?, some quiet weeks some busier, enjoying not having to do too many saturdays also, I benefit from a lot of (moral) support from family........... :)
    I do work for householders, Conservatory Builders, bathroom showrooms, and remain POSITIVE.
    Sam, if you've got some cash left, there are deals on new vans, try 25% off Renault Trafic's, mine's coming in a coupla weeks, the poor old Ford Focus and camping trailer will breathe a sigh of relief. ;)

7. oooops

oooops Active Member

well done glyn.hope it continues

i started a couple of months back things are looking good however i am not desparate to get the work in as i am self employed at the moment. this gives me the flexibility.

you will do well i am sure as you are heating engineer also.
    i just do the wet stuff. and still learning.