Revive chalky car paint

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by diyhopeful, Jun 16, 2006.

1. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

This may be the wrong place to post this but there seems lot's of car related problems on here.

My wife's Golf has a rear panel that has gone white and chalky. The rest of the car is still shiny red. If I spend and hour polishing it looks fine but a couple of weeks later the shine vanishes and it goes chalky again.

Is there something better than Mer to "fix" the colour or am I looking at getting the back quarter sprayed ?

We've seen a few Golfs that look like this but the car is over 10 years old so doesn't warrant an expensive spray job just something to make it look less like a heap.

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

rub the surface of the panel down with 800 grit wet&dry paper (careful not to rub through to the primer).

spray the whole area with clear laquer, either from an aerosol or (more satisfactory) with a compressor and spray gun.

leave to harden for at least 24 hours then gently rub down with 1200 grit wet&dry. (again don't rub all the way through).

polish up with t-cut.

the laquer will protect the paint from oxidising again.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

4. Sick on the Cat

Sick on the Cat New Member

had the same problem with my car.

I used a proper compounding paste (its alike an abrasive paste) and it bought it up a treat, then i polished it with Autoglym polish. After that you must use a Wax, this will seal it and keep the colour for longer, may still need polishing once every 6 months tho.

If you can get a good colour with your polishing i would be inclined to wax afterwards & see if it holds the colour better.

Or... go to your local spray shop and ask for a quick respray on the bonnet. £80ish??

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you can see that all the paint is there still, T-cut is the way. Do it in small areas.

Not like a polish. You keep rubbing the same area until the T-cut seems to start drying up, then keep rubbing.
    Wipe it off with a clean rag.
    Do ths in 4" spots until you finish.

Then polish it. Loads of polish.

Mr. HandyAndy - really