Removing blown vinyl wallpaper adhesive from plaster walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by BROWBEATER, Sep 25, 2006.

1. BROWBEATER

BROWBEATER New Member

Removing the wallpaper is easy, but the adhesive is an absolute b------. Anyone know how to remove the adhesive which when wet turns gooey, but cannot be wiped off with a hot cloth/scourer?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. ugley_matt

ugley_matt New Member

I believe sugar soap is the answer, certainly worked in our kitchen to get all the paste off before we painted.

3. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Should come off OK. Are you sure the walls have not been Unibonded before papering?

4. BROWBEATER

BROWBEATER New Member

Many thanks for your reply

The walls were previously painted with matt emulsion.

<u>The glue is so thick</u> that I have to wet it with warm water and then scrape it off. I have to do this <u>twice</u>, finishing off with a wipe over with a soapy hot wet cloth. It doesn't completely remove all the adhesive but as we will now be papering the walls with lining paper and then painting this should now be OK.

Painting the walls I think would be out of the question with so much adhesive remaining on the walls.

When scraping the walls the adhesive on the scraper is beige in colour with a very sticky rubbery consistancy.

Its going to take me and the wife ages preparing the walls but what else can we do?

5. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Now that your going to line, let it dry and sand it down. I would then re-size the walls with a wall-paper paste mix and line once the size has dried out use anything 1000 grade upwards. Then give the paper overnight to dry and give it two good coats of your selected paint. The lined walls will be more homely and a warmer feel than just painted plaster anyway.

Good luck

6. job done

job done New Member

7. Telmay

Telmay New Member

The scrapers are good in the right hands - watch out for those gouges!