Why do tradesmen still add 40A shower circuits to 60A Wylex fuse boxes?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lester lecky, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Lester lecky

Lester lecky New Member

Why do trades men (plumbers, bathroom fitters, shower firms etc) still add such large circuits to wylex boards? I can't believe it's still being done! Only in the last week i've come across two recent shower circuit installations (a 9.5kW & 10.5kW showers)that have been added to 60A rated wylex fuse boxes. (They just add nice little 40A MCB's from B&Q with RCD's not even considered). These fuse boxes already had a ring main, cooker circuit, immersion circuit and lights etc. And none of the jobs were registered under Part P.
    They're classic cases of Part P not been enforced anywhere and why it should be.
    I've seen burnt out fuse boxes because of this and yet people are still doing it in 2006.....why oh why?

2. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Stop whingeing you muppet, you must 'ave a good life if that's all you whine about, you whining whinger you.;\

3. Lester lecky

Lester lecky New Member

Very nice life thank you HA HA!
    Just feel so sorry for all the poor customers out there who get ripped off every week by cowboys (maybe like you??) and have their lifes put at risk!!

Whinging no, feeling sorry for customers, yes!

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

To be honest with you I think most other trades are totally ignorant of what needs to be done. After all, any muppet can be a sparky eh?

5. bs7671

bs7671 New Member

Regardless of wether its right or wrong, its very unlikely that a house will draw 60A. I cant remember a time when I have been in one that would.

6. Lester lecky

Lester lecky New Member

Mind you if i was to have a whinge.........and why not!
    My pet hate.........why is it that plumbers etc always leave all their rubbish under the floor boards rather than just bin it? Cardboard, paper & plastic Packaging, old parts, old pipes, chopped out wood, saw dust etc etc?

Do they think they're are adding a layer of insulation under the boards or something? HAha!
    Or maybe they are leaving a nice little "tinder box" ready to go up in flames when their dodgy DIY central heating wiring over-heats??

Now thats a pet hate and thats whinging !! lol

7. NoNuts

NoNuts New Member

Did yours (like mine) also leave the 63A Wylex on 4mm tails?

NoNuts

8. Lester lecky

Lester lecky New Member

It is rare that a home will very often draw 60+ Amps but it does happen! Granny may not use much but a family will!!

It's a dark evening and many of the halogen lights are on. The sons in the 10.5kW shower with his stereo banging out from his bedroom, the daughters got the Immersion on getting water ready for a soak in the bath (shes got her PC and stereo on while shes waiting for her long winded brother) , Mums cooking on her double fan assisted electric oven, preparing dinner with the radio on, while the washing machine and tumble dryer are going using all the water from the C.Heating. And Dad is watching the football on sky while he waits to get in the bathroom too and have his dinner, or sometimes in the garage doing DIY with his power tools!

Typical family!!?? It is in my experience! The Amps soon add up i'm afraid.

PS: both house had 10mm supply tails and no equipotential or supplementary bonding either!

9. prosparks

prosparks New Member

An untrained, unqualified, inexperienced, 24c gold plated, blue ribboned, tree swinging MUPPET is 'still' a muppet ...no matter which trade he goes into.

It's just that most of em go into plumbing. !!

No, joking aside, I have the greatest regard for good qualified heating/plumbing guys or anyone who performs their trade to a high level.
    regards

10. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Testin.........
    turn off the radio.. that will reduce the load ?
    regards

11. Lester lecky

Lester lecky New Member

LOL!! good idea i'll tell the mother to do that but also get the fire ext ready too!! haha!!

12. edward current

edward current Active Member

if the government cant be arsed to tell the public about part p, why should the cowboys stop doing electrical work, and why the fu"% do we keep paying to be registered,
    only about 10% of my customers have even vagerly heard of part p and non fully understand it

13. Lester lecky

Lester lecky New Member

PART P - it was a good idea in principle but they didn't do it right - we all unfortuantely know that!!
    With no publicity for the people, no enforcement by the government.....its all a farce.
    Us electricians at the top of our game just have to do the best by our customers as we can. At least been registered as an approved contractor proves (in most cases) that we're the professionals and want to do right by our customers.

Cowboys...they'll always be out there. All we can do is educate the public & tradesmen with morals so a safe job is done!

14. LECH WALESA

LECH WALESA New Member

part p is nothing to do with getting rid of cowboys
    its about gettin yer money and you fell for it.

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Black Bart, Billy The Kid, Butch Cassidy, Jesse James, Bob Younger and Kid Curry to name but a few..B-)

16. prosparks

prosparks New Member

Testin
    you are correct !

Now, imagine a fairy tale land...far far away..... where Part P was implemented correctly and only genuine, time served, qualified tradesmen were allowed to do electrical work .... domestic, commercial and Industrial.
    Each electrician (or as some are called "The Wise Ones")had to have a magic licence with which to practice 'the dark Art'.
    The Wicked Witch would call once a year and ask them to chant the Law of Ohm and recite from the holy scripture SEVEN SIX SEVEN ONE and cast out the ne'er-do-wells, the frail and unkemp, the chancers, the rogues, the muppets and lo... also the Numpties and all their minions.
    "The Wise Ones" were able to pay tithes to the Wizard and look after their kin as only they ....and they alone ....were allowed to work on the tickly stuff that runeth up the arm.
    regards

17. LECH WALESA

LECH WALESA New Member

is that were your goin'

18. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I said Oz Tony to your new home in the months to come.

(I bet you thought Australia?)

Si

19. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Hi, you all seem to have missed the most important point & this concerns both new but more commonly replacement showers of a higher rating than 7.2kw
    The 4 way wylex boards have copper contacts & will only safely carry 30 amps otherwise they burn out. Eigher they leave the 30a in & it gets hot & burns out or they fit a 35a or 40 amp fuse & the same happens. The higher rated fuse carrier has a restricting lug to stop it being fitted but this is abused often, they cut of the lug or you will see that the fuse is on the kilter. best way to start a fire, seen a number of them burnt out. The newerlarger wylex boards with 100a switch have 1 way with a set of silver contacts for a heavier load normally i believe nearest the switch.