Part P, what I can and can't do

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by EWP205, Oct 5, 2006.

1. EWP205

EWP205 New Member

Hello newbie here.

I am a qualified electrician of about 4 years and have been with the same company 'man and boy' for 8. They are a NIC approved company so all the work I carry out during the week is covered by them.

I often get bread and butter work at the weekends family/friends you know how it is and these range from changing lights to full rewires but with this new Part P reg well and truely in place where do I stand?

I have been told by another employee on the firm that I can still do rewires as long as a building inspector can check first fix, then second fix and I can provide a sheet with all my test results. Then at the clients expense they have to have a NIC approved company come and do a test on my new wiring and issue a certificate.

Does this sound about right?

Cheers

2. prosparks

prosparks New Member

yep, apart from the fact that it can be a member any of the registration bodies ECA, NIC, NAPIT, BSI etc.
    regards

3. prosparks

prosparks New Member

PS
    the guy from the body checks first and second, not LBC
    regards

4. LECH WALESA

LECH WALESA New Member

or you could just do a good job and tell nobody

5. EWP205

EWP205 New Member

Sure, thanks for that.

By the way whos LBC? isn't that a radio station?

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Local Building Control! :^O

7. EWP205

EWP205 New Member

I don't think so, although I absolutley lothe the idea of having all my work checked by some muppet who dosent know anything about electricity i'd rather be above board thanks.

8. EWP205

EWP205 New Member

So if the local building control dosen't check my work surely I could just get my company to check it right?

9. EWP205

EWP205 New Member

10. LECH WALESA

LECH WALESA New Member

no probs mate up to you but youll find that lbc aren't
    really arsed and would **** themselves if everyone who had to notify did

11. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Building Control are not actually allowed to pass on the extra cost of the inspection to the householder. Many do and get away with it. A complaint to what used to be the ODPM may sort it or embarress them.

Otherwise the OP is generally correct.

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

13. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Don't bother telling the LABC - Just do the work and issue a Periodic Inpection form instead.
    Do the same inpection & testing as that laid down for an EIC and bob's yer uncle - Periodics are Part P exempt.

Go on - you know it makes sense.

TT

14. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

COR the Number 1 Electrical Organisation! ;)

15. Don't bother telling the LABC - Just do the work and
    issue a Periodic Inpection form instead.
    Do the same inpection & testing as that laid down for
    an EIC and bob's yer uncle - Periodics are Part P
    exempt.

Go on - you know it makes sense.

TT

Oh yes and thats not illegal much is it TT!!!!
    I bet the punters love paying a £150 extra for you to do a periodic every time you fit a shower!
    Effin cowboy fool!!!!

16. The Trician

The Trician New Member

I don't charge em for the paperwork - just the wirng job. Paperwork's free.

TT

17. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

It's not that new - Jan 2005 - 19 months ago.

When you notify LABC and pay their fee, that fee is for them to carry out whatever investigations and tests they feel they need to do in order to assure themselves that the work complies with the building regulations. If they do not have the expertise to do that in house then they have to subcontract the work, but at their expense.

This has been made crystal clear to them by the ODPM (as was) and it is shameful that they are still, basically, stealing from the public.