Is Dulux mixed paint at DIY sheds the same as Dulux trade?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ugley_matt, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ugley_matt

ugley_matt New Member

It might be a daft question but as i was cutting in the front bedroom this evening i noticed that the Straw matt paint i had mixed in Homebase smells the same as the trade stuff iused in the kitchen. That left me ondering if it was the same? It seems to go n a lot nicer than the pre-mixed stuff and smells quite different.

2. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

You sure you had'nt just dropped one and that was what the smell was?

3. Telmay

Telmay New Member

I have been guilty of many smells - dead rats, leaking sewers, rotting kebabs but never Dulux trade :(

4. bogstandard

bogstandard New Member

I'd say yes....I cant tell the difference in body etc...smells same too!

5. Burlington Bertie

No it is'nt. Dulux Trade paint is a different formulaion to the DIY range. Trade requirements are different to DIY requirements thus the paint is different. I won't go into the ins and outs of it. Just because it smells the same does'nt mean it's the same. Food can smell the same but some of it can taste awful and some great.

6. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Of course its the same - Dulux have been ripping all of us off for years............

Never heard such ******, of course its different and anyone, who can rightfully call themselves a decorator/painter knows the difference - if you cant, well you know the score tosher!

7. ugley_matt

ugley_matt New Member

I suspected that was the case but was curious as the flow of the mixed to order stuff is much closer to the trade version than the pre-mixed colours.

8. jobsagooden

jobsagooden New Member

No, look at the coverage!

9. samwire7

samwire7 New Member

whilst the 2 paints are marketed differently, they'll be pretty similar in their formulations and the smell will be a raw material common to both, usually the solvent..

10. Burlington Bertie

Eh?

I suspected that was the case but was curious as the
    flow of the mixed to order stuff is much closer to
    the trade version than the pre-mixed colours.