Power shed from house spur

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pinkdigital, Oct 17, 2006.

1. pinkdigital

pinkdigital New Member

We have a shed about 3 metres from the back of our house that we want to run power to for lights and sockets.

Is it permitted to wire this as an extension from a socket inside the house as a spur? Do I have to run SWA cable?

Inside the shed i will run a RCD with wiring for 2 2gang sockets and a tube light (or similar). What kind of wiring etc do I need to purchase and if anyone is in shropshire want to give a price for doing the work I would be interested in hearing from you.

2. general matter's

general matter's New Member

you can run power from your house to your shed from a 13amp/rcd fused spur. obviously this is your loading limit 3000w approx. ideal for simple light and lawnmower/power tool use! but there would be no point in putting a consumer unit in shed, as discrimination would be hard. just terminate into a 20amp DP switch inside your shed. and from here you can supply sockets direct and lighting through a 3amp switch-fused! this is the most basic set-up though! regards.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

you can run power from your house to your shed from a
    13amp/rcd fused spur. obviously this is your loading
    limit 3000w approx. ideal for simple light and
    lawnmower/power tool use! but there would be no point
    in putting a consumer unit in shed, as discrimination
    would be hard. just terminate into a 20amp DP switch
    inside your shed. and from here you can supply
    sockets direct and lighting through a 3amp
    switch-fused! this is the most basic set-up though!
    regards.

:O

4. Evil DIY

Evil DIY New Member

I take it you wouldn't do it like this then JP?

I'm interested in this as I wanted to wire in some outside lights and power to the shed, but want the job done properly.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I take it you wouldn't do it like this then JP?

I'm interested in this as I wanted to wire in some
    outside lights and power to the shed, but want the
    job done properly.

Phorrrrrrrrrrrrr......woteva

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sorry Evil......no I would not mate.......

7. general matter's

you look shocked jp! this is how i done mine buddy! smallish garden, 6' x 8' shed 5m from house. i needed a light and a socket and no more than 3kw! there would not have been a point in putting a 2 way consumer unit in with a 6amp and 16amp mcb. 13amp fused/rcd spur in kitchen!!!!! shed/out-building only needed means of isolation mate. this simple method for basic supply was in wiring matter's from the IEE 6 months ago! not that i needed Mr Cook's help!!!!! lol

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

My regards to Mr Cook general......did you use Arctic Flex?

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

In round 20mm conduit outside to shed?

10. general matter's

Evil, trust me buddy this is how a basic system would be done! if i wanted a better set-up, i suppose i could of impressed my wife and kids with a consumer unit which fed a 20amp radial socket circuit, and maybe a few twin fluorescent lights and even TT it! but for what i needed mate, this was fine! anyone wanna fault the system... feel free to explain......

11. general matter's

2.5mm twin and earth from rcd/spur to adapter box, 1.5mm swa to metal 20amp DP box in shed, 20mm plastic conduit from then-on...

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

2.5mm twin and earth from rcd/spur to adapter box,
    1.5mm swa to metal 20amp DP box in shed, 20mm plastic
    conduit from then-on...

My shed is approx 2.5 mtrs from my kitchen.... yours is a nice job General.....ermm mine?...saying nowt.

13. general matter's

somewhere to go when wifey starts jp!

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Flippin right General....if I can actually fit in the thing due to all the junk in it......

15. pinkdigital

pinkdigital New Member

for the adapter box in the house could I use another 20a dp metal box which wires to the spur?

16. general matter's

okay say you have your 13amp rcd/spur fitted. come out of this with 2.5mm cable chased down the wall and drilled/fed to outside. when you push your 2.5mm through the wall to the outside, it goes immediately into a weather-proof joint box, say 75mm x 75mm. (mounted about 12" above ground level) swa 1.5mm 3 core from bottom of this box to shed 20amp DP metal switch. load side of switch will then feed socket/s directly and 3amp switched fused-spur that will fuse down and feed the lighting! shed has total isolation (20amp DP switch) lighting protected through 3amp fuse, socket/s have protection through 13amp fuse, and 2.5mm twin and earth, swa, and all shed wiring etc protected through rcd!
    p.s rcd/fused spur will have a test and reset button which will act as isolator as well as the obvious! regards!

17. general matter's

i must emphasize again though that this is absolutely safe and correct, but also ONLY for a 13amp supply to shed to feed lighting and basic power needs! about 3kw to play with, which for my house was more than enough. anything needed over 13amp will obviously need a completely different installation...

18. pinkdigital

pinkdigital New Member

how basic is a basic power need... I need to run 3 or 4 computers and a printer... with 3kw cover that?

19. thripster

thripster New Member

If the computer`s are replica`s of Colossus then no, 3kw will not cover that, however, you can discount any heating requirements that you may have been planning.

20. general matter's

last post on this matter.... its amazing how some people in here can't just say "yeah, thats one way of doing it" instead of trying to put others off! run pc's YES run efficient halogen heater YES run a tv, dvd etc YES, as like mine run a chest freezer YES.... BUT HEY ITS UP TO YOU! wanna feel better by putting in a heavy supply, go for it! i have put some pretty impressive supplies/equipment in for customers who wanted to feel like they could bend pylons with their loading, but as far as my needs went...