Door Hanging Tools ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Hard life, Nov 3, 2006.

1. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

I make do with a stanley knife and a set of false teeth left to me by my old grannie

2. !!

!! Active Member

I'm with yorkshire on that one, SHARP chisel and the side of my trusty douglas tool can cut a housing in less time than it takes to get the router out.

You can rely on technology too much and plus I hate all the ferking cables

3. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

ps it works for all doors however heavy they are,
    even for 75mm thick 100kg front doors
    Is it that very blunt chisel that you use for chopping in door hinges

4. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

yea i come across one ,lad i worked with had one,great little tool.tried to buy one once with out any luck,don`t think Stanley make them anymore.think they come under the catorgry of "antique tool".use jigs and routers now,but for the funny size door and one offs i woudn`t mind one.

5. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

Another idea if it for just occasional use is to buy a small pole type routerwith a quauter inch bit ,set the depth to the thickness of the hinge and the fence to the width of the hinge .What a compermise between the Chisel and the router and jig

6. !!

!! Active Member

aren't we carpenters since when did using a chisel become a difficult job

7. ShabbaPlanks

ShabbaPlanks Member

I dont think its a matter of difficulty Gonzo, at least not for the majority. I am looking to invest in Trend jigs for door hanging and various other odds and sods.
    Time and motion, 4 doors = Traditional methods, a floor of 4 hinge fire doors = Bring on the power tools.

8. britishblue

britishblue New Member

They also sell a hinge screw punch.

I bought one. A complete piece of **. I phoned Toolstation to tell them that it was not fit for the purpose and also phoned the importer Silverline to tell them the same. They couldn't care less. Toolstation refunded my money and I threw the item in the dustbin, but they still continue to sell it.

BB

9. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I hang most doors by hand, my concession to power tools is the circ saw and planer. I have got a hinge jig but by the time ive set it all up etc I could have done it by hand.

I only use a jig if ive got more than two doors to hang and this is rare.

10. Hennoo

Hennoo New Member

Is ther no one out there using a butt gauge? Not a
    hinge marker, but a butt gauge made by stanley. Got
    to be the best bit of kit when fitting doors.

Yes - i've got one and would be lost without it. The guy i served my time with had one, and i had to buy mine from an antique tool dealer in the US. Cost me about 30 quid if i remember correctly, but it's worth every penny. Not many people use them these days it seems! - Stanley havent made them for decades.

11. britishblue

britishblue New Member