creaky carpet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cold_in_winter, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

But hang on Audi. Lift the carpet yes.

But the loose floorboard ? The nails aren't holding it(the wood is split).

How do you repair that ? Are you going to rip the floorboard up to check for pipes/cables ?

Or would you put a nail slightly across from the failing nail ?

AND golden boy, same question. Will you rip the board up ?

Mr HandyAndy - Really

2. innit

innit New Member

How do you repair that ? Are you going to rip the
    floorboard up to check for pipes/cables ?

I would definatly take the board up to check, pipes and cables always run in the least obvious places.

"locate the joists under the carpet by tapping with a hammer"???

"2 inch oval nail through the carpet"???

What do you do for a living andy? Its just that after reading some of your stupid posts on this site I cant believe that you are making any money as a tradesman. If you are then there is no justice!

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

But hang on Audi. Lift the carpet yes.

"But the loose floorboard ? The nails aren't holding it(the wood is split).

How do you repair that ? Are you going to rip the floorboard up to check for pipes/cables ?

Or would you put a nail slightly across from the failing nail ?

AND golden boy, same question. Will you rip the board up ?"

NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!
    but i know it will be easier with the carpet up!

4. panlid

panlid New Member

if i was going to the trouble of lifting a carpet to find a proble i would replace a split boards. i would also not nail it, i pilot, countersink and screw. for me its the best way with no splitting.
    as for HA's approach. i have no doubt if you put an lost head naikl through the carpet and punched it howm you would not see it when you do a quick ruffle of the carpet. but it is totally stupid to put nails in floors without seeing where pipes and cables ar.
    i dont like doing repairs as they can be more trouble than they are worth. but if i am on a job and they ask then i will.
    eg though, about 6 months ago i was finishing a weeks work on a house and they had asked me to look at some squeky landing boards.( i know, the worst place for pipes and cables). anyway it got to about 7pm and i was tired and cold and had packed all my tools away before the customer reminded me. i looed at it for 2 minutes, just staring at it really. then decided to put some screws right beside the nails. it was only a small area squeking, 5 screws tops.

last screw loifted the board....oh oh...unscrew and hot water hits me in the face :(

i never put anything in without checking, and the one occasion i do, in 10 years of being self employed i go through a heating pipe!!!

5. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Could have been far worse.
    If it was cold water hitting you in the face ;)

6. Mr. Handyandy

Aye, but if you drilled the board first, you would have found a void and a pipe with your drill. You wouldn't drill through it....

Just saying.

And lost head indeed, yes. Oval nail. Will disappear under the carpet and underlay, you'd never know about it.

Mr HandyAndy - Really

7. multi trade

multi trade New Member

GONNY GEEZE A BREK (just lift the f**** carpet !!!

8. dunc

dunc New Member

Sounds like the ideal place to site a pole dancing......pole.

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

for goodness sake children

one
    lift the carpet OR (as audi says bung a carpet fitter £20)

two
    Find the floorboard

three A
    if its badly split lift it and replace it

three B
    if its not that bad put in more nails (id better say or some silly git on this thread will argue) you only nail floorboards at the edges

three C
    if you are at all worried by three B take up the board and look for any services before nailing back down

four
    just in case some pedantic git on this topic argues, you can use screws instead of nails if you wish

five
    put the carpet back

six
    if you cant put the carpet back get a capet fitter to do it for you

seven
    just in case some stupid git argues, if you cant use a hammer or screwdriver get a carpenter in to do the floorboard

10. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

11. BrianMann

BrianMann New Member

Mr HandyAndy - Really = Mr Wankyhanky - really

12. BrianMann

BrianMann New Member

Wanky is really a tosser - how can you even suggest this! Do you ever work - looking at your 5000+ posts - wtf do you ever do or ever have the time to do - ******!!

13. Mr. Handyandy

For your information mann, I post in the evening only.

And more for your information, you don't know be.

I might be 80 years old, have done more work than you will ever do, AND I have never in my life put a nail or a screw into a pipe or wire.

I've done a lot of things, all to reasonable standard, and I can fix anything you like within reason, because I think for myself.

Who tells you what to think ? Numnuts.

By the way, I am NOT 80. Far from it.

You geezers have got to start using your brains, if you have any.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

14. Mr. Handyandy

And more for your information, you don't know ME.<

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. stevieduffer

stevieduffer New Member

Thank **** i dont know you matey!! i would Poop meself if i had to work alongside you !!

geez thought i had seen it all, i really have now, nailing carpets well well well!!!!!!!!

16. Mr. Handyandy

Thank **** i dont know you matey!! i would Poop
    meself if i had to work alongside you !!

geez thought i had seen it all, i really have now,
    nailing carpets well well well!!!!!!!!

Yes you would poop yourself if you had to work next to me.

You would get no work done, because you would be watching me and picking up tips all day.

You'd spend all day thinking, 'Christ, I would never have thought.....'

And after watching me do it, you would be doing it soon after. Believe me, not everything is black and white.

Re: the nail in the carpet.

It is NOT nailing carpet down, it is PASSING a certain type of nail THROUGH the carpet and underlay to fix a floorboard.

Who'd have ever thought it. Watch it, and watch it work.

Dream on, loser. Who thinks for you ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

17. stevieduffer

stevieduffer New Member

the words say it all!!! you have done work to a reasonable standard!! where as my work is never done to anything less than an exceptionally high standard, Joker i would believe i have <u>forgotten</u> more than you have ever learnt.

handy is not a trade dafty!!

18. Mr. Handyandy

the words say it all!!! you have done work to a
    reasonable standard!! where as my work is never done
    to anything less than an exceptionally high standard,
    Joker i would believe i have <u>forgotten</u>
    more than you have ever learnt.

handy is not a trade dafty!!

Typical. Hasn't got the brain to think out a reasoned argument, so resorts to name calling.

Stick some education up, instead of insults, and maybe then you might be worth listening to. Maybe !

Just to follow on in your footsteps, so Handy isn't a trade ?

Then Duffer is less of a trade, fool.

Did I say 'Handy' was a trade ?

I call myself Handy, because I can give a tip or two on alternative ways to achieve the same result. I don't promise it's the best way(there is no such thing).

I give a way that works. Tried and tested. By me.

There are tradesmen that cannot think for themselves beyond 'what they've been taught', 'I've been doing this for 25years', 'this is the way it has always been done', etc, so therefore it is the only way to do it.

Crapp.

There are a million thing you can do that are NOT the proper/recognised way of doing it, but some people can't see beyond their nose.

I feel sorry for them.

They are the tradesmen that come on here asking questions that maybe blindingly obvious to others. I've answered questions on here(all trades), some off the wall, some damn good ideas, I may not even be part of those trades.

That don't mean jack ****, because if you know something, you can retell it.

You don't hear or see me asking questions on here do you ?

Why is that ?

Because I can work it out for myself.

You carry on making extra work for yourself(and taking payment from customers for it).

I can fix it my way, and be proud of it.

Duffer. Says it all. Wake up.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

19. stevieduffer

stevieduffer New Member

HMMMMM i shake my head! <u>education</u> is that what you want!? no i think <u>education is what you need</u>

as for Duffer suggestion My sarcasm is lost with you!!
    aint arguing with u anymore i have better things to do!

20. Mr. Handyandy

Ha. Another one bites the dust. !

Mr. HandyAndy - really