Louvre vent in UNCAPPED chimney!?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tinderstick, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

Anybody tell me if, for any reason, I need to have a vent in an uncapped chimney?

Got an open fire in a the lounge downstairs - in use and cleaned. This runs through the same chimney as a bricked up and louvre vented fireplace in the upstairs bedroom. the vent was there when I moved in.

Question is can I safely block up the upstairs hole and lose the louvre vent and not be troubled with damp stains etc.

Could just leave it but a) its half way up the wall and looks ugly, b) I'm also thinking about dirt and smoke from downstairs coming through, there is some dust visible and c) it whistles on windy nights

Any advice very much appreciated

2. Roofer

Roofer New Member

Tinderstick I think you will find that although open fires may share the same chimney stack they will not share the same flue. Each fire will have its own separate flue going to its own chimney pot.

It is considered good practise to ventilate a bricked up chimney.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you need airflow to remove damp air in general that requires an entrance and exit point
    with the pot being about 7 or 10m above the old fireplace isnt going to get enough airflow to keep out damp

big all

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Stick a cowl on the pot to prevent rain falling in and reduce the air downdraught, and hang a picture or mirror over the vent(not so it blocks the vent completely, but hangs slightly away from the vent).

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. Tinderstick

Tinderstick New Member

Thanks folks

Its only about 3' from the floor Andy so picture.mirror would look weird there - might try and get a better looking louvre ;)

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Weird place for a vent!!!

Anyway, you could move it, perhaps round the side.

Or a long tall mirror to cover it. No ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. jamisonc

jamisonc New Member

Not as weird as where a mirror would sit!