loft ariel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BATCOMAN, Jan 5, 2007.

1. BATCOMAN

BATCOMAN Member

hi i installed a loft aerial for my daughter tv and ran cable through ceiling, picture lovely.
    now have replaced it with new cable as needed more length and going in to new TV.
    problem picture is not much good.
    the cable that goes in to the loft section is it the flexible copper in one screw hole and the solid copper strand in the other
    thanks

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi BATCOMAN.

Extending the cable a bit shouldn't really cause a huge deterioration in quality, so I'm guessing something's gone wrong with the wiring (assuming you are using the correct type of coax cable :))

At the plug end, the solid central wire goes into the centre pin of the plug. It doesn't need soldering (tho' this might help), but you could try putting a 'wobble' in the wire so's it makes good contact with the insdies of the pin.

The stranded wiring on the outside should be wrapped carefully around the 'grab' ring of the plug. IMPORTANT!!!:- don't allow stray strands to touch the central wire!! (There will be a blinding flash and your house will fall down - or your picture might suffer)

At the aerial end, it should be pretty clear how it connects; there should be a clamp held by a screw (this clamps down on the stranded wire part) and a screw terminal beyond this which takes the central, solid, wire. Again, it's important that the two don't touch.

(Are you sure the aerial direction wasn't moved during the re-wiring?!!)

3. BATCOMAN

BATCOMAN Member

devil's advocate thanks for that
    once i have finsihed work???
    i will check those points out cheers

4. nigel

nigel Guest

Batcoman you would seem to have the type of aerial without a clamp so yes the cable and shroud wire are terminated in each of the terminals.And as already mentioned even a single strand of the outer wire touching the centre will affect picture.

5. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I don't think the quality of the cable will matter here. & if its not been moved & the strands are ok. Have you tried fine tuning the tv? Or just done auto? & you did make sure it's arial cable & not cable ment for something else? Not saying your silly, but mistakes are made.

6. BATCOMAN

BATCOMAN Member

picture is sorted i checked ariel and found a single strand of outer cooper sheath touching solid cooper strand
    thanks all who replied