Plastering again!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by leechy, Jan 9, 2007.

1. leechy

leechy New Member

I'm quite capable of skimming small area's ie bathroom ceilings, patches around sockets etc etc. A friend has now asked me to save him some money and skim his small bedroom.

One wall is boarded and the others are just old plaster that needs a new life. Any tips/tricks to getting a good finish? I take it I should start with the ceiling and then the walls, was going to pva the lot first and use board finish on the board and multi finish everywhere else!

All useful advise welcome.

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Give the existing plaster a good scrape up to remove any loose/flaking finish and then identify if it really needs skimming or will patching do. (Why make work, and cost, for yourself?)
    If patching is not an option, slap a coat of dilute PVA on to the exiting plaster and then use multi finish throughout, starting with the ceiling.

3. iceml

iceml New Member

what is the difference between multi finish and board finish?

4. leechy

leechy New Member

Cheers for the replies, it will need a skim the existing plaster is in poor condition. Skimming boards are not really a problem, nice and flat. Any tips for old platered walls that are not as flat?

I don't know the difference between board and multi finish. I suspect not a lot but I like to use the right stuff with any job I do. Anybody else know the difference?

5. tryin it all myself

tryin it all myself New Member

"I don't know the difference between board and multi finish. I suspect not a lot but I like to use the right stuff with any job I do. Anybody else know the difference? "

As far as I can figure out, board finish goes off quicker than multi finish. I've taken to multi finish for al jobs now because I'm not very quick and like the extra time I get to work with multi.

6. house and home

house and home New Member

If the plastered walls are quite bad then try starting off with one coat of "bonding coat" a little more expensive but it will give you a chance to fill those voids that you hack off! and it gives you a couple more minutes with the next skimming layers!!!! good luck!

7. house and home

house and home New Member

p.s if youre around doncaster area I would be happy to help out..... for a small fee mind!

8. leechy

leechy New Member

Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know how I get on especially if I **** Up!!!

I'm in Manchester but thanks for the offer of help, considering I'm not getting paid for the job it would have to have been a small fee!!