Damaged Screw Heads

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by johnedel, Jan 26, 2007.

1. johnedel

johnedel New Member

I want to gain access to the element in my oven. the internal back plate is positioned with 6 screw, all corroded. I have managed to remove 3 of them but the corrosion to the other 3 is too bad and the Philips heads have stripped. Can anyone advise a tool to remove these screws? Thanks

2. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

Depends on the type of srew head. If they are round or mushroom heads, you may be able to use a "Dremel" or similar with a slitting wheel to cut a slot into which you can fit a screwdriver. Unfortunately, if they are countersunk screws this would probably damage the panel. You may have no option but to drill the heads off & then remove the remaining screw with mole grips.

3. kimble

kimble New Member

4. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

I have tried these screw removers before. Not once have I had them bite in & "remove the screw effortlessly"....

5. johnedel

johnedel New Member

countersunk, so no doubt I'll have to drill them out. Many thanks.
    John

6. johnedel

johnedel New Member

Thanks for the link. I'll give them a try.
    John

7. johnedel

johnedel New Member

Thanks for trying to save me a few bob but I'll try them.
    John

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Alternatively, you could buy a new oven..

9. johnedel

johnedel New Member

Dom't need a new oven "still got 3 screws

10. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

John your doing yourself no favours saying you've got a screw loose

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you have trouble getting the screw-removers to work, try sharpening a drill-bit the wrong way and using that as if it were a screw-remover.

In reverse gear of course.

It isn't easy to sharpen backwards because of the way a twist-drill is made, but it can be done.

Use a drill bit the same size as the thread(so if it happens to drill instead of unscrew, you will have drilled the head of the screw off, which is not bad).

Start drilling(in reverse) then stop and drill in very short bursts(in an effort to 'grab' the screw).

No loss, cheap and cheerful and will get you there in the end.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. fooman

fooman New Member

It isn't easy to sharpen backwards because of the way
    a twist-drill is made, but it can be done.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

no its not easy as its totally imposible :^O

13. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

What a load of *****.....Yes, you can get left handed drills (used for some automatic production jobs)which have the helix ground the opposite way, but grinding a left hand cutting edge on a right-handed drill....You're 'avin a larf Mate. Please..Don't waste your time trying this idea. Malkie.

14. fooman

fooman New Member

What a load of *****.....Yes, you can get left handed
    drills (used for some automatic production jobs)which
    have the helix ground the opposite way, but grinding
    a left hand cutting edge on a right-handed
    drill....You're 'avin a larf Mate.
    Please..Don't
    waste your time trying this idea. Malkie.

you watch now HandyAndy will argue the toss for days and say it can be done.

15. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Damaged Screw Heads
    Posted: Jan 26, 2007 2:06 PM Reply

I want to gain access to the element in my oven. the internal back plate is positioned with 6 screw, all corroded. I have managed to remove 3 of them but the corrosion to the other 3 is too bad and the Philips heads have stripped. Can anyone advise a tool to remove these screws? Thanks

If the element is sparking & tripping the mcb when you turn it on? Check the connector blocks for the cable see if they are melted.

16. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Squirt some WD40 on the screws & use a braddle or thin electrical screw driver. The screws are only a short thread. Preasure is the key. Now wheres my drill bits, must test handypandies theory.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I've fkin done it, so screw you, especially the FOOL fooman.

I also converted a long (8") TCT tipped masonry drill bit, into a normal twist drill because i needed a long 5mm drill bit for wood. Tell me that can't be done.

Anything else, just ask.

I'll convert screw crosses(philips) into slots, and slots into crosses if I have to.

Ain't much can't be done if you think about it.

Sorry, 'think' not in your vocabulary ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

18. cockneycowboy

cockneycowboy New Member

The mind boggles don't it !!!!!????.....

19. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

HandyPandy I need to build a rocket ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/philgyford/142651544/ to send you to the moon, because you’re defiantly on another planet. Next you will be saying WD40 isn’t water repellent..

20. johnedel

johnedel New Member

Hi Guys, didn't realise what I was starting.
    Job done, Drilled heads of screws, removed remains of screws and fitted new element.
    At last a hot meal.
    Thanks everybody
    Johnedel