door frame has been fitted at angle / door opens on it's own

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by thecount, Jan 29, 2007.

1. thecount

thecount Member

we moved into our house a few years ago. after moving in, we noticed one of the internal doors keeps on opening wide fully on its own and it looks like the frame is not square.

If there a mechanism to stiffen up the door so it doesn't fall open?

Obviously a door stop is ideal, but I'd rather get this sorted somehow without a lot of hassle?

thanks

2. dunno what construction your door is but you could fit a door closer device to it

3. thecount

thecount Member

well, it's just a standard internal door. (sorry, I'm no expert) a door closer device could work I guess, but are there any really small ones out there as I don't really want it visible too much.

thanks

4. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

5. thecount

thecount Member

looks like the kind of thing. But wouldn't this close the door? I really need to be able to keep the door ajar. It's for the nursery room so the door needs to stay open a bit.

Currently we have to put something behind it cause it just swings open.

what do you think?

6. makita49

makita49 New Member

Can u not get the frame plumb or even install a new liner.

7. thecount

thecount Member

I'm really not a carpenter and can't really afford one right now.

what is a liner? what doe sit look like?

8. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

did goldenboy fit it,just check to see if the hinges are planted on the frame.adjust your door stop ie.fit new door stop plumb or chop back rebate.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think you will find mazball that i was advocating chopping hinges in. were you too busy doing the photocopying in your real job to read that.

10. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

screwfix quote number 20622.surface mounted closer.easy for a novice to fit and easy to adjust to required tension.

11. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi thecount.

Ok, I'm doing a Mr Handyandy 'thinking out of the box' idea here - so don't blame me...

You could fit a brush-type draught-excluder on the door bottom (or even a small peice of one); this will cause enough friction against the floor to allow the door to stop wherever you want.

As I said, don't blame me... :)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hi thecount.

Ok, I'm doing a Mr Handyandy 'thinking out of the
    box' idea here - so don't blame me...

You could fit a brush-type draught-excluder on the
    door bottom (or even a small peice of one); this will
    cause enough friction against the floor to allow the
    door to stop wherever you want.

As I said, don't blame me... :)

Excellent idea :)

I would try moving the hinges out at the bottom first.(that's out of it's rebate in the frame to the left or right whichever way the door is hung). It only takes a tad to allow an easy-gliding door to swing out, so a tad adjustment on the hinge might sort it.

Using a bradawl to make a hole; Undo and remove two of the screws in the bottom hinge. Loosen the third. Pull the door so the old holes are no longer centre in the hinge hole. Make new holes with the bradawl. Wind the two screws back in tight. Remove the third, make new hole and refit that screw.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. thecount

thecount Member

14. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi thecount.

Fitting one of these will, as you suspect, pull the door closed all the time - not what you want?

Best to try Mr Ha's suggestion first, but if you don't fancy playing with the hinges, try Mr Ha's other suggestion... :)

Seriously, adjusting the hinge is straight-forward, and you can always put it back in the original place if it doesn't work out - nothing lost. Try it with just one screw first - that'll be enough to hold the door until you see if it'll do the job.

Support the door underneath with a wedge so it doesn't drop or swing towards the frame when you remove the screws. Remove all the screws from the lower hinge only*, tap in a sliver of wood into one of the holes to fill it, drill a pilot hole near the edge of this old hole (further out from the door stop), and refix the hinge with a single screw through here.

See how the door behaves, and check whether the gap which will now exist between the lower part of the door and the doorstop when the door is closed is an eyesore - hopefully it won't be. If the door is much better, but not quite there, then repeat the process with a different screw hole and drill the new hole a tad (1-2mm) further out again.

When happy, fill all the old holes (you can add a bit of PVA to the wood slivers/matchsticks if you like), and drill new holes for all the screws through the new postions of the hinge holes.

*If - when you look at the gap between the door and the doorstop when closed - there is a large gap at the TOP hinge position, you might be able to move this top hinge IN instead, but this'll likely mean a tad more work - removing a bit of timber to allow the hinge to move in. Make sure you're confifdent of what you're doing before you start... :(

15. PyroDan

PyroDan New Member

If you do get one of them recessed door closers, be careful whilst installing it as there powerful beasts, you should get a little plate that you slide into the chain for fitting... I'd hate to see the result of trapped fingers in that.

16. Zapette

Zapette New Member

You said: ''Currently we have to put something behind it cause it just swings open... It's for the nursery room... what do you think?''

I think it may have been a nursery before you moved in - and the hinges were changed for rising butt types - check the shop section on here to see them.
    They come left or right handed and their usual function is to lift doors clear of carpets as the door opens.. but yours may have been reverse fitted to stop the door closing by itself because the previous owners thought it safer for a nursery.
    Look at the gap between the door and floor when closed... is it even along its length?
    Now let the door swing open to its full extent... has the gap reduced but remained even?
    The frame would have to be way out of plumb for the door to just swing open the way you describe.
    ''Looks like the frame is not square'' - well then you need borrow/buy a decorators plumb line or a spirit level to check it.

Regards ZZZ

17. thecount

thecount Member

hi, nope, it wasn't a nursery, just badly ftted.

devil's advocate, your note looks useful and I will try and adjus the door and see how I get on.

thanks all

18. emjay

emjay New Member

Hi
    has the door been hung on two hinges or three ?? think I might be able to offer some advice if you haven't already sorted the problem....

19. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Hi Count
    Handy andy has got it right . If your on a pair of hinges draw the screws from the bottom hinge putting the bradawl in to one of the holes allowing the door to move towards the rooom say 5mm. Try the door on one screw in to the hinge and take it from there. If 3 hinges unscrew middle one first of course. You may have to adjust the latch keeper but in your case ...when is a door not a door???Cheers !

20. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Hi Count
    Handy andy has got it right . If your on a pair of hinges draw the screws from the bottom hinge putting the bradawl in to one of the holes allowing the door to move towards the rooom say 5mm. Try the door on one screw in to the hinge and take it from there. If 3 hinges unscrew middle one first of course. You may have to adjust the latch keeper but in your case ...when is a door not a door???Cheers !