Grap adhesives

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Wayne K, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Wayne K

Wayne K New Member

If I ever need to stick anything I just use silicone, is there an advantage to using Grab adhesives or the like?
    Are they any things they don't stick well to?
    Any preferences to makes?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I find Pink Grip to be very good. There is little to no slump and it sticks like buggery. I've put a timber rack up in my garage by glueing 3"x1" battens to the wall with it and then screwing spur shelving brackets to that. The battens aren't supported by the floor and it's taken as much wood as I could fit on it. It does tend to melt plastics though.

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I swear by grip fill (green)

4. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

gotta agree with you there gripfil green solvent based not that nandy pandy water based stuff!:)

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I used to use gripfill and found it very good but I prefer pinkgrip because the lack of slump means you usually don't have to pin, and as it melts plastic I presume it's solvent based but as I used my last tube yesterday sticking a dado rail on I can't check.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I feel I should mention PU glue as well, not cheap but gap fills, dead sticky and sets to full strength in 5 to 10 mins and is supposed to be sea water proof although I've never had to check this.

7. Wayne K

Wayne K New Member

The pink seems to be getting better reviews than the green so far & it's cheaper. I presume it is ok for external use?

8. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Can anyone tell me does this Gorilla glue come anywhere near to what the Ad's say it does? I'm not to aquaint with most of the modern stuff but have to say that hav'nt had any problems with it. Cheers !

9. anyone that uses solvent free is a big girlie...

10. chip32

chip32 New Member

i swear by pink grip

11. nigel

nigel Guest

For rapid setting I use a carpet fitters hot glue gun.

12. scousespark

scousespark New Member

What's best to use sticking wood to cement outdoors?
    Not weight bearing, or I'd use screws.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As I said earlier in this thread I stuck a timber rack to brick with pink grip but off the top of my head I don't know if it suitable for external use but I would have thought so. PU glue is waterproof and will even stick to wet timber but I don't know what it slumps like as I've only used it where I could get a clamp on it while it set, it does expand once it's out of the tube.

14. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

PU is very strong and is very resistant to water (water acts as a trigger to curing and the end bond will be stronger if materials are slightly damp when joining). It doe not provide any grab though - indeed the opposite. When first applied the PU will act as a lubricant between the surfaces - this can be a very good thing because it allows fine adjustment but you absolutely have to clamp to stop the slip as well as to resist the foaming action that will tend to push the surfaces apart.

Last year I used PU to fix a very heavy (over a ton) concrete structure onto a bed made of railway sleepers. Resting on the wet glue I could move the concrete by hand but once cured it was completely solid - we still fitted some big bolts just to be certain.

15. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

It used to be called "Gunoprene" and cost 99p a tube. Then some marketing wonk had the bright idea of re branding it as "Sticks Like ****" and thought this enlightenment merited a price hike to £4.99. I haven't used the "pink" stuff myself. "Gripfill"in a green tube is more than adequate in my experience.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Pink is cheaper and better.

17. spg trainee

spg trainee New Member

i like a bit of pink too.