hang doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by speed fit on radiator, Feb 22, 2007.

1. anyone use a door lifter when hanging doors? as seen them on screwfix for sale! i usually use wedges under the door and slide in more if i need 2 go higher etc!

2. prince

prince New Member

I have a door lifter, its like an extra pair of hands. Mazda has 12 for each door, so he can hang it in 20 minutes!!!

3. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

keep insulting princey.probably just your sad sarcastic nature,

4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

speed radiator

wedges work fine, however if you "down set" your pencil when scribing the doors you can get away without lifting

if you are hanging very heavy doors a second pair of hands comes in very useful.

despite mazda's heavy handed use of language, his use of an additional guy is a sensible and safe method of working with very heavy doors.

5. !!

!! Active Member

I just use a chisel.

6. dunc

dunc New Member

Sometimes, but they usually get stuck on your toe caps at the wrong moment, so you try to shake it off and your door alignment is stuffed.

Generally you can lean the door toward the top hinge slot and get the first screw in enough to hold the door. Then wedge the door into position for the final fit.

7. emjay

emjay New Member

I use one, but usually only when hanging fire doors. I make sure to position it roughly center, so door doesn't fall away from lining/frame when you come to screw in the hinges. I find it best to get the top hinge into it's recess, apply a little more pressure on lifter as this will keep hinge in place as you screw it in, then you can release or move the lifter to help position the other hinges. I don't use it on internal doors so much as these are usually on loose pin hinges. I'd say get one.

8. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Door Lifter ! whatever next , must be for shirtlifters. A wedge and bolster, never failed yet Cheers !

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

you dont need a new fangled door lifter (max 75kg)

OR an old fasioned hammer and bolster to swing a door

just walk the door slightly into the opening, you can then move it with your thumb to set the first screw in, the rest is easy.

even with a 150kg mother for an X ray room, the power in your thumb is awesome

accepted..... you DO need help to get such a door into place

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

ps a 150kg X ray room door

in my case such a door is over TWICE my body weight, you can still swing it with the power in your thumb

11. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Spot on dirtydeeds this is my method also,put the bottom of the door too far into the frame tilt the top out to fix the first screw.Too high and a slight tap with the foot lowers the door a touch.

12. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Yeah yeah!but it has to be fitted first. The old penny all round,clearance to suit on bottom. Leading edge both stiles. A tip to the diy ers , slip matching hinge into hinge checks and pre drill then it's furniture time. Cheera !

13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

joe you are well ahead of any diyer with that much information