The future of engineering

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Jason123, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

Now there are virtually no apprenticeships for younguns, over the last 10 years I have seen myself continually the youngest in the engineering department. I recently witnessed a site electrician being criticised for not being able to weld???? When I started in this game the mechanical engineers didnt weld, now we are expected to machine components, fault find to component level in PLC programs, what does the future hold for engineering in the UK. A large company I know makes engineers by buying £20 of allen keys and spanners and giving them a wage rise???????????WTF is that all about

2. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

They dont get them a full set of allen keys then?

3. Engineer...one of the most corrupted words in the English language

these days everyone's an 'engineer'...

4. Will be good ! Keep Nigel (The Chef) on he is full of bright Engineering ideas. (Mind you useless at cooking)

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Engineer...one of the most corrupted words in
    the English language

these days everyone's an 'engineer'...

Could be worse..

You could be a Technician :'(

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

or a technical engineer, or a technical engineering consultant!

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Hi Blokes. I'm a Mechanical Engineering Technician (I've got the bits of paper to prove it)...Where does this put me ?....But Yeah....I know what you mean. Everyone seems to call themself a engineer nowadays. There are as many cowboys in our trade as there are in constuction...They seem to get away with it because they can talk a good job. That's life I suppose !!!

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I really am qualified....Even if I can't spell"construction" :)

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

A technician...

An even poorer pain engineer..:_|

10. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

Hitch, they went to a local shed and bought the cheapest ***** on the shelf. The guy who had been promoted was a good operator, he knew how to run the machine very well. An engineer he was not. He had been told a chain was stretched, he didnt know it was cause he couldnt tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. We explained howthe tensioners had to be undone the chain had to be split, taperlock bushes undone, check the duplex sprockets, pick up the primary datum on the drive sprocket, if the chain is the correct length exactly, your other timing marks will be close, adjust tensioner to bring the timing in, he said something similar to WTF

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

'paid'..;-)