Chipboard Flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chisum, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Chisum

Chisum New Member

The chipboard flooring in my bedroom goes under the stud wall into the bathroom, I would like to replace the bathroom flooring with plywood instead. How do I cut up to the skirting board as a circular saw will leave approx. 30mm from the skirting board?

Many thanks

2. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Sorry all!
    Should have done a thorough google search before posting.
    Have found this; Stanley Floorboard Saw
    Any tips/ideas would still be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

are your joists parralel to the wall!!!!!

if so you dont terminate the boards at the WALL you terminate on the joists otherwise the stud wall is only held up by the stub ends of the boards

big all

4. essex-fitter

essex-fitter New Member

Ensure that there aren't any pipes or cables running below the area you want to cut, or you're going to get a surprise...

5. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Thanks fellas, big all, the joists do run parallel to the wall, but can you please clarify your answer, not really understood what you said (I,m only a DIYer)

Thanks

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the stud wall is secured to and partly supported by the floor

if you cut the flooring and the wall is mid span [between the joists]the wall is only being held up by whats left of the other end of the chipboard which will start to sag

big all

7. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Thanks for the clarification big all, I now understand the problem and will support the wall as necessary.

8. Wayne K

Wayne K New Member

Mmmm, floorboard saw, best of luck to you.

9. inventor

inventor New Member

10. foxy

foxy New Member

Why do you want to replace the floor out of interest?

11. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Inventor, I'm afraid it's too expensive for me for a one off job, but thanks anyway.
    Foxy, the floor was damaged by a leak when the incompotent plumber did our bathroom. The damage is quite severe and I thought it was best to replace the floor with ply.

Regards

12. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

bang away with hammer till it breaks away to wall then use a sharp chisel and chop away.

13. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi Chisum.

Does the damage to the floor go right up to the wall - ie: does it go beyond the nearest joist to the wall? If it doesn't, you might be better off cutting the existing floor alongside the nearest joist, against the side that's away from the wall. This should leave the flooring which goes under the wall fairly intact, and the wall supported.

All you then need to do is to screw an additional timber - say, 3x2 - against the exposed joist to 'widen' it and allow your new floor (which will have to be the same thickness...) to be supported.

14. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Hi Chisum.

Does the damage to the floor go right up to the wall
    - ie: does it go beyond the nearest joist to the
    wall? If it doesn't, you might be better off cutting
    the existing floor alongside the nearest joist,
    against the side that's away from the wall. This
    should leave the flooring which goes under the wall
    fairly intact, and the wall supported.

All you then need to do is to screw an additional
    timber - say, 3x2 - against the exposed joist to
    'widen' it and allow your new floor (which will have
    to be the same thickness...) to be supported.

Fortunatley the damage does not go up to the wall, therefore I will take your advice - cut up to the nearest joist and screw in a 3x2 as mentioned.
    Thanks guys for all your advice, this is what is so good about these forums, great advice from great guys.

15. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

(pleeez don't cut on the wall side of the joist - you'll really kick yourself :()

Also, as mentioned above, watch out for pipes, wires etc.

I'd be tempted to make a small inspection hole first and have a look-see.

Do you have a jig-saw? If so, you can either have it sitting on a piece of timber to keep it the required distance from the floor to allow the blade to just cut through (although even this is dodgy), or you can even hold it - tightly - at an angle (with the teeth side of the blade facing down at an angle of around 45o - but keeping the guide tight on the floor to stop it jigging around), and carefully pull it along allowing it to almost cut through.

It can be done - but needs great care :(