decking problem, any ideas guys?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by m x, Apr 25, 2007.

1. m x

m x New Member

I have been asked to construct a deck over an existing flagged patio for a customer.
    They already have some decking down and it was installed when they got a hot-tub and put down by the hot-tub installers. they have simply fixed 2x2 battons on the existing flagged patio and decked on top! I have to continue this decking to the same level and add approx 20sq meters.
    Now this is my problem, on my extended area along the edge they want the newel posts and sisal rope feature. The ffl of the deck will stand no more than 3" above the existing patio.
    Can anyone give me any ideas on how to fix these posts to what will be basically a 2x2 thunderbolted to the patio floor?? I'm starting to think I'm going to have to carefully cut through the flags and concrete these in place.
    hope you could all follow that
    HELP HELP HELP
    thanks dave

2. britishblue

britishblue New Member

3. m x

m x New Member

thanks britishblue, but i have never used these things before and to be honest, i cant really see how they offer much support........or am i missing something. let me know if i am.
    cheers

4. foxy

foxy New Member

The newels should really be concreted in. I would lift the relevant slab and after concreting the post in either chuck some suitable shingle down or cut a hole in the slab and drop it back over the post.

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I think that you are supposed to bolt them to the patio floor through the centre hole, and then fix the post using screws through the six predrilled holes in the side plates.

BB

6. dunc

dunc New Member

There's no easy way round this. The deck has to be partly disassembled and the posts properly fixed into the ground.

7. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

beware of decking champ.make sure you don't go over the existing damp course,otherwise bridging will occur.lads done a big decking job 2 years ago and now they want the lot stripping out.reason ; loads of rats nesting underneath.try to avoid decking on your property.banned on caravan parks now due to it being a fire risk.

8. m x

m x New Member

thanks for the input guys, i see how the post fixings work now but cant see that they would offer the kind of support that i need.
    looks like im going to have to set them into the ground.
    should have been a 1 day job but looking at nearer 2 now

cheers chaps
    dave

ps to the last poster, i have been installing decking for the last 10 years or so and am well aware of the do's and dont's.
    sorry if that sounds a bit ar$ey i dont mean it to just explaining that i am a fully qualified joiner not the local handyman