How to finish a crack in ceiling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by grace2much, May 18, 2007.

1. grace2much

grace2much New Member

Hi, I'm re-decorating a living room and need to cover a crack that appears in the ceiling from wall to wall (3.6) in length. In our area this is a common problem in most of the houses for some reason. I tried before cleaning out the crack line to give a key and using flexible filler but in a few weeks the crack is back again. The ceiling is papered as well!!! I could sheet it with pine cladding but I was wondering if anyone has easier ideas......Thanks!!

2. > In our area this is a common
    problem in most of the houses for some reason.

your house is obviously collapsing...you need to get it under-pinned before fixing the crack

3. grace2much

grace2much New Member

oops!! I must have made this sound too bad. The crack is in the plasterboard ceiling. The houses are up 50 years and on a solid foundation so no subsidence anywhere (thankfully). Thanks anyhow:)

4. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I wouldn't panic grace2much, this is a common problem, though you may get a more helpful response on the 'Painter's Talk' forum.....it's more of a decorator's job than a chippy's.

All I can say is when filling the crack, it does no good just applying the filler straight over the crack. You do need to open up the crack (as you say), and create a little clean 'V' shaped groove along the length of the crack. You can do that with a stanley knife held at an angle on both sides. It's best to wet the crack (ooo-err missus) before applying the filler. Let it cure and then sand down flush.

The crack may well appear again over time. It's just one of those things you need to address each time you decorate. It's either that or have the ceiling skimmed over by a plasterer.

Like I say, try the 'painter's forum'.....I'd be curious myself to know what they suggest....;)

5. grace2much

grace2much New Member

Thanks for a second time Mr Mike:)

6. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

"In our area this is common"

but in a few weeks the crack is back again

This is caused by movement and if it returns in that short a space of time, there's something definately wrong.

Flexible filler is the way to go as it allows for some movement, but this is way beyond that it seems.

Is the ceiling plasterboarded and skimmed or lath and lime plaster?

7. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

I suspect that a ceiling joist is flexing as you walk over the upper floor above. This might be an original construction method error by the builder if it is common on your estate as you suggest. If it is really annoying you then pull the ceiling plasterboards down and have a look. As the span is quite wide it might need bracing to stop the flex. Noggins across the widest parts should stop this flex. Re-board and get a pro plasterer to tape all the joints and plaster it.

Bit of work, bit of mess but you could do a lot of this yourself and pay for the plastering.

DWD

8. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

I would suggest that you are never going to fix this permenantly unless you retape the joint.

9. john208

john208 New Member

I'm with Mr Kipling on this ,the only way to sort it out is bed a new paper tape with filler over the crack and caulk over the tape with filler to hide,Rub down when dry and decorate.This will prevent reoccurrence of the cracking