Rain, rain and more rain.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Astramax, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How's this weather affecting your income guy's and girl's.

No need to take any bookings for next year at this rate!

2. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Half way through an empty house in a big valley, down by a large stream.

Got there this morn at 5..flood torrent coming down the road and that's the reason I'm now at home :(

3. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Its giving me the right balls ache for sure, now at the point where the exterior work needs to be done as cant shuffle diary any more!

4. prep it

prep it New Member

Starting to really lose money now cos of the weather, that's why I'm sitting wrting this, another day written off!!

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Made a couple of phone calls this AM, picked up a dining room re-dec for next week and some odds and sods elswhere ie put some shelving up, clean out gutters etc, still, it pays the bills!!!!

6. ..maybe you can paint a few boats..;)

7. jcts

jcts Active Member

at the moment it's fine for me. got 1 outside to do but that's in about 6 weeks. also got 2 days but can put that off

8. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Maybe I should stick to what I said last year - no more exterior work!!!!!

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Telmay, I also said that last year and the year before. This time I mean it, well after next year that is!

10. jcts

jcts Active Member

exterior work is a nice little earner. also widens your client base

11. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

exterior work is a nice little earner. also widens
    your client base

Yep, specially when they can see you in a bib n'brace up a ladder - easily approachable for a card etc.

(That's when you can get up a ladder without the s0dding rain ruining your freshly painted window cills...:()

My diary's a complete joke now - had about 4 weeks worth of back-to-back exterior stuff that's all gone completely pear-shaped, and I've run out of stuff I can bring forward...

Have blocked out 2 weeks after my last job before taking anything else on to try and catch up.

If they announce a hosepipe ban after all this rain then I might have to go down the the local water company offices and punch somebody in a shirt and tie on the nose...;)

Only plus side is it's given me the time to tackle a planning dispute with my neighbours that the Builders Forum are helping me with.

12. Telmay

Telmay New Member

exterior work is a nice little earner. also widens your client base

Am I missing something here? I charge myself out at day rate which is the same in or out, do you all have different rates for outside, if so can I ask why?

JB booked solid here till mid November, with next Feb and May booked as well.

13. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Am I missing something here? I charge myself out at day rate which is the same in or out, do you all have different rates for outside, if so can I ask why?

I've been asking that question for years Telmay, when painters tell me that the money is made outside!

eh :O

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So it's safe to assume we all loose money over the summer taking on outside work!

I'm with you Tel same price per day in or out!

15. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

Am I missing something here? I charge myself out at
    day rate which is the same in or out, do you all have
    different rates for outside, if so can I ask why?

The painters I used to know that did exterior work would always charge more, and I can understand in a way as you take your life in your hands if your working off a ladder.

My next door neighbour lives in a Semi, not adjoined to me, but the other side of me.
    Got a quote the other week from a firm that had painted the same house opposite, they quoted her £1350, she got another quote and it was £900.
    The house has PVC windows, but stained sills, PVC soffits, but drainpipes need painting, its a 3 bedroom house, and its pebbledashed.

When I did mine on my own about 5 years ago, I had a friend footing the ladder, I had no cills as they were PVC, but I had the drainpipes, the dampcourse and of course the walls.
    I painted over existing paint, I did 2 coats, and it took me just under 3 days,
    Mind you I did start about 7.30 am, and I didnt have far to travel to work lol.

I was keeping an eye on the guys that was painting the house opposite, they did a lovely job, but they had a scaffold, and there was two of them, and it took them nearly a day just to paint the front top.
    I cant see how thier boss can justify charging £1350 though, but it seems with the exception of you lot on here, every one else I know who has had exterior painting work down, has paid a hellava lot more than the the normal day rate.

16. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

I've always charged more than my day rate for external work.........cos I had to pay me mate to hold the bottom of the ladder lol.

Generally people won't atempt doing the outside as much as they will inside, some simply don't have a ladder, some afraid of height's, and strangely I used to get weird looks when I quoted for painting outside......I'd usually be talking in hundreds and they had already had several quotes in thousands......so I uped my price to hit an average between my usual day rate and what others seemed to be quoting for external.

Short storey long......there are obvious reasons for charging more some of which I mentioned above so go for it TEL.

Good Luck to all

PS anyone know of someone selling a second hand dinky, the 10x 14ltr paint buckets I have tied together are giving way and I'm taking on water, also Celine Dion has turned up singing the theme tune from Titanic...I'm thinking this can't be good, NOW HOWS THAT MORSE CODE GO AGAIN

_ _ _ ... _ _ _

heeeeeeeeeeeLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!

:)

17. jcts

jcts Active Member

yep i charge more for outside. if it's off ladders i want extra money because i have to lift extension ladders on my own all day, up and down, up and down, getting extra tired. and also for the simple reason as well, i don't like working outside. can do, and have done a lot, but don't like it for a number of reasons. so if i get the job, lovely little bonus, if not i'm not really that put out

18. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

It did not rain where I live this afternoon - if this continues much longer the authorities will be imposing a hosepipe ban :)

19. decoratorjonny

decoratorjonny New Member

i managed to get 8 hours in on a outside today, i started it a month ago and this is only my 5th full day! lukily ive got a couple of nice inside jobs where i can come and go as i please which always helps

20. T-C

T-C New Member

Temay thats what i said five years ago and i stuck to it. T-C