Scantool Wetstone Sharpener?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jonny Round Boy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Anyone got one of these: http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/SCAN200S ???

I've been wanting a Tormek for a long time now, but have been put off by the price. Obviously this won't be as good as the Tormek, but does anyone have one (or has used one)? I'd be grateful for any feedback I can get on this before I buy one.

2. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

It looks like you have to buy lots of extras for this to work as designed.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

4. mailee

mailee New Member

Well Bu**er me backwards big all, I too have just sent for that machine! How do you find it, good, brilliant or too expensive for what it is? It is certainly cheaper than the Tormek.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

Well Bu**er me backwards big all, I too have just
    sent for that machine! How do you find it, good,
    brilliant or too expensive for what it is? It is
    certainly cheaper than the Tormek.

l o l mailee is that what you get up to in your lovely summer house :D:D:D:D

it is a bit of a luxury untill you work out you use probably 1hr a week sharpening and honning so if you can save 40 mins and get a perfect blade thats £10 a week towards the costs;)

when i first got it the metal arm wasnt sitting parralel to the stone so when you grind any blade it was uneven
    but with an ajustment off one of the legs its fine

heres a link some kind soul gave me it is realy usefull and has a specific section about sharpening
    http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

big all

6. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

I boought the scantool about three yers ago based on Rutlands' glowing reviews of it and the fact that it was substantially cheaper than the Tormek.

Total rubbish ..... The tool support is inadequate, even the basic tool rest is extra (making it just as expensive as the Tormek) no real way of setting angles, the honing wheel is useless etc etc. When I discussed it with Rutlands it turned out they had never actually used it ....

I stuck with it but never liked it until the wheel cracked about two months ago.

Replaced it with the smaller of the Tormeks bought from Axminster. I had expected it to be better but was stunned by the difference. The Tormek is massively better for a slightly higher price.

Do not even consider going for the scantool - the tormek offers much higher value for money.

The only advantage of the tormek offers is the reversible motor so you can grind either way without moving the rest. Nothing else good to say for it.

Graham

7. flying sctsman

flying sctsman New Member

just to clarify b.c. that`s a no then. :)

8. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Just read my post and realise that the last line is a bit ambiguous .... the Scantool has forward/reverse switch - the small Tormek doesn't (don't know about the big Tormek). I think the Tormek would be a little better if it had this but since it is great in every other respect I'll let it off.

My experience .... Scantool bad, Tormek very good.

Graham

9. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

The Tormek is the ideal machine if you have a lot of sharpening to do. Brilliant tool you could have a shave with a chisel afterwards

10. IOC Chippy

IOC Chippy New Member

I have used a tormek but it was painfully slow I will stick with my cheapie bench grinder its much quicker and does just as good a job once its been licked over a stone.

11. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Thanks everyone. Guess that'll be a 'no', then!