solid wood flooring again

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by charlie-d, Oct 11, 2007.

1. charlie-d

charlie-d New Member

I am not a joiner but I have fitted lots of laminate floors.I bought 18mm solid flooring the guy in the shop said no problem to nail it down to chipboard just use 38mm nails and porter nailer.
    A friend told me about this Forum and suggested I ask questions.So I was a bit annoyed to see that you cannot nail it onto chipboard floor.
    Looking for other methods of fixing. Elastilon has been suggested is there any other ways. Gluing, screwing, laying at most 12mm ply first,HELP..... aaaaarrrrggh.

2. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger New Member

use chip board, and nail it down and then gripfill the wood boards to the green chip board and secure with secret nails through the tonge, angle the nails into the board the nail is going into!

3. mcarp

mcarp New Member

how rough can you get using gripfill to stick a floor down

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"gripfill"

"angle the nails into the board the nail is going into"

The nailers are set at 45deg!

[Edited by: admin6]

5. RGD

RGD New Member

I've done a couple like this, by glueing (at intervals) AND nailing. (paranoid about the chipboard not holding the nails!)

Not with gripfill though as I heard that it's too inflexible. You can get big tubs of floor glue, for about £60 (if I remember) and i got through about 25 sq m worth of floor per tub (if i remember). It doesn't smell either.
    (Though maybe that's a downside versus gripfill!??!!!!!!)

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

of course you can use adhesive (without nails) but it is not recomended without priming the floor and that will cost you at least the same as the adhesive, (also visits) so now you are up to £5m2.
    Elastilon is less than that and much quicker so why bother?

7. lamello

lamello New Member

yeehah gripfill ha ha ha.
    I swear by Rewmar MS Polymer

8. stinkyfinger

stinkyfinger New Member

Evo i get what your saying, however i wouldn't expect the guy to completley spread the gripfill all over the boards, this would be far too expensive! but as you know solid wood can be unstable at the best of times even with expansion grooves on the back, i simply can't except that nails alone would stop the boards lifting due to insuffice acclimatisation or damp or over heating as the density of the solid wood will greater than that of the chip board, so the suggestion of a slightly healthy bead of glue, and in this case i suggested gripfill, which you can get solvent free! thus giving you more work time and without nasty fulmes. And as for the angle the nails comment, i noted that the guy was not a joiner and if he didn't hire a nailer he might not have known to do this!

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

ok here is a quick giuide,
    any solid wood over 15mm thick must be fully fixed and not floated.
    Fully fixed choices
    1. nail or screw, to joists, floorboards or ply.
    2. glue down (not my prefered method) prime floor first (dpm primer if concrete) then glue.
    3. elastilon, top stuff easy fit, any level floor.

10. Fittingwolf

Fittingwolf New Member

Since Audi mentioned this stuff on here to me i used quite a few methods as mentioned above but since then ive used nothing but elastilon, even if it could be an easy straight forward job nailing it i would still use elastilon every time much easier and well much easier i rest audi's case! haha ;)

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

good man.
    I tell everyone, if you "stick" with it hahahahahhahahahaha, it very quickly becomes easy to use and you'll def use it as your prefered method.