How much to hang a door ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Wet Walnut, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Wet Walnut

Wet Walnut New Member

Hi guys, Iam no longer a chippy but always get asked to hang doors for family, friends and friends of friends. I'm just curious to find out if i'm not charging enough as im not up to date with the pricing.

To hang 1 solid pine interior door 30" x 78" with door furniture fitted I would charge £20 quid. I can hang at most 6 interior doors in a 1 day with furniture, so £120 quid for 1 day seems ok to me and fair to a friend.

What would you guys charge ?

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

you are clearly up for an argument

posting this topic in this forum

im not going to get involved until it gets heated ;)

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This subject comes up a lot and the price differs from about £16 supply and fit to £60 fit only, hardware extra.

4. > Iam no longer a chippy but always get asked
    to hang doors for family, friends and friends of
    friends.

quit charging your family/friends and stick to pikey work

5. lojo

lojo New Member

sure I seen this before, at present £60ish depending on situation

6. Wet Walnut

Wet Walnut New Member

Whats pikey work ?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whats pikey work ?

Work that pikey's do

8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

£40-60 depends whats going on it

9. JackChippy

JackChippy New Member

Depending on your area, but in london, i do £60 for 1 door including furniture, and £40 pounds each aditional door. It seems fair, but to family its diffrent. Most of the time its ill do that for you and then you can do that for me sort of thing.

10. fatdragon

fatdragon New Member

£20 is cheap, but what are friends for? i used to charge £25 per door but have put it up to £30 including furniture. even if i don't like them

11. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

either charge£60 per door or do it as a favour for free.

12. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Oh please not again! How long is a piece of string? What sort of door? How big? How heavy? Where? Internal or external? Any glass in it? Is it 2" wider than the frame it's supposed to fit into and 1" longer than the length? Does hanging it include fixing all the ironmongery?
    "Oh by the way, can you just put these security bolts in? and of course the letter box! But of course it won't take you any time at all being the skilled tradesman you are but you are still just a tradesman so I will pay you according to your position!
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm anyone come across this scenario?

13. lojo

lojo New Member

WW "Hi guys, Iam no longer a chippy but always get asked to hang doors for family"

Please tell us you a still a chippy at heart?

With regard to working cheaper for friends etc, well if your new non chippy job is giving you a set income you are happy with then I guess do as you like. For me if its fitting a door or a complete refurb I cannot do favours on price as I am taking away money from my family and should be working elsewhere, I do however believe friends/family etc. use me because they know they will get a good job at a resonable price.

14. Wet Walnut

Wet Walnut New Member

thanks guys getting a real idea of what the pricing is like these days, and will have to re think my own pricing up. I dont just work for family and friends its either a mate of a mate or the bloke who walks his dog down the road on a sunday morning.
    Do a favor for someone the word gets about so quick everybody wants the same.I might just raise the price to £30 per door as I dont mind hanging doors.It keeps me in practice.

15. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

£40 to £60 depending on furniture, interior, exterior.

16. lamello

lamello New Member

£30 an internal no chance. £75. Treble it for a front door £225. Fitting doors properly takes time and time costs money.

17. fatdragon

fatdragon New Member

£75 for an internal door is just plain greedy. anyone worth their stripes can comfortably hang 6 a day. 6x£75=£450 a day??? if you can get that, good luck to you...

18. chip off the block

£75 is a tad expensive but depends ont he situation. If its an old casing thats bent all over the place it takes alot of time to get it looking perfect. If fitted in a new casing that is fitted correcttly then 9-10 doors a day can be achieved in which case £40 a door is fine. With a good setup doors can go on with speed. i use my ts75 to put a 3 degree leading edge on freehand rout the hinges with a laminate trimmer and traditional for the rest

19. lamello

lamello New Member

whys £75 a door greedy. If you want to put doors in spot on it can take a bit of time sometimes. I do a lot of cottages etc. Top end of the market demands top end work mate. Top end work equals more time taken equals more money. All off written quotes they can take it or leave it. Doesnt bother me if they want to pay someone else £30 they're welcome to the work. No shortage of takers. You charge what you like mate. Some days with knackered casings that need a lot of tlc before even looking at the door ie car filler into all the old hinge positions etc I might only do 2 doors a day. Some days I'll do 5 or 6. I dont care how many I do. The bad days are covered by the good and vice versa. As long as the customers happy its all good to me.

20. chip off the block

like i said then old naff casing take longer to hang a door in that ashiney new 1