UPVC DGlazed Window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dubs, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Dubs

Dubs New Member

Just removed a rotten old sash window and replaced it with a new UPVC Double Glazed window.

I've got about a 10mm gap around the edge of the window which blows a gail. What is the best way to seal this gap...foam or silicon.

I've always used expanding foam in the past but someone has just told me not to.

Can anyone advise.

2. evo nut

evo nut New Member

dub,

if it was me i'd foam 1st then either point with sand and cement or mastic to finsh off

evo nut

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Plastic trim. Probably in your case, 15mm quadrant. Stick to the brickwork with silicon, then bead down the window/trim meeting with silicon or white upvc glue/sealer/gap-filler.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. wurthman

wurthman New Member

PE Backfill Material is a Polyethylene Foam and is what should be used, not fixing foam.

You should be able to pick up a box from your local UPVC trade counter. Expect to pay around £15 (ex) for 100 metres.

5. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I would do as handy sudgest and cover your silicone line with a trim.

6. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

"silicon and plastic trims slapped on everywhere" a new box and sash replacement would have been more aesthetically pleasing.

7. evo nut

evo nut New Member

i couldn't agree more with sammy toaster

evo nut

8. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

it's 2007 lads not 1967,who has wooden windows now.

9. ­

­ New Member

I didn't know you could still get wooden windows, how quaint.

10. evo nut

evo nut New Member

£75 an internal door,

yes also in 2007 and beyond you can still fit timber box sash windows and casements.

they add a great deal of value to houses.

also very popular i fitted wooden windows and doors for over two years - www.spstimberwindows.co.uk

evo nut

11. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

The op has already got a UPVC window faffing on about timber is pedantic.

BTW I agree that a like for like timber replacement or repair would have been better but it is not remotely relevant to the original question.

12. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

to tell the"op" to fire in expanding foam around the gaps of his plastic window would be relevant and not pedantic.

13. Mr. Handyandy

***. Window trims are designed to trim windows that are too small for the friggin hole. End of.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

14. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

they should be slapped around your hole

15. Mr. Handyandy

Silicon don't stay stuck to skin.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

whilst replastering rooms we increasingly come upon plastic "trims" some of them 150mm. wide,stuck on to walls around plastic windows,we rip these pretend architraves off and make good around the opening with bricks and mortar.

17. Mr. Handyandy

I hope you properly observe the need for damp course between the outer and inner brickwork.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

18. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

you are being pedantic sir, when you were fitting plastic windows at a tenner a time did you worry about damp?

19. Mr. Handyandy

you are being pedantic sir, when you were fitting
    plastic windows at a tenner a time did you worry
    about damp?

Always. Even when a wood block was needed for fixing through window into the cavity, one side of the block(the outer) had a dpc attached. A few seconds work.

Never a cowboy will be.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

20. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

why didn,t you use lugs.