hinge jigs

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by duderz, Nov 29, 2007.

1. duderz

duderz New Member

Hello all i have just taken on a big fire door job 39 hardwood doors so im going to invest in a hinge and lock jig.Are the jigs easy to use and worth buying.

Cheers martin

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

that many doors yes they are worth buying

if for no other reason than a picky clerk of works or a sub contractor hating quality controller can make your life hell if all the hinges dont run in a dead straight line along a corridor

yes they are easy to use

3. duderz

duderz New Member

Cheers mate its not the clerk i was too worried about it was doin them all by hand lol.Had a look at the trend jig today looked very good.

4. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

personally i think hinge jigs are a waste of time just use a lam trimmer by hand the clean ends with a chisel as for a lock jig thumbs up to the trend jig

5. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

do you use your trimmer to rout out on the door frame?

6. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I agree with chip off....

trimmer used on door frame too.....before applying door stops.

7. chip off the block

linings yes casings no. If the intermesant in in the casing then it makes cutting the hinges in by hand easy

8. burtonm

burtonm New Member

why not make your own hinge and lock jigs?
    its easy and cheaper (well, practically free)

9. chip off the block

so your time is worth jack then is it? buy a lock jig and it will do most of the locks you need and do hinges freehand

10. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

i use both hinge jig and free hand trimmer.done mainly new builds and barn conversions over the last 10 years and have only ever used casings.did a job with 90 doors and the jig came in to its own,but doing barn conv at the moment where there are some odd size doors,thats when the trimmer router comes out.

11. burtonm

burtonm New Member

it takes about 10 minutes to make a jig
    to save £180 or whatever, 'wasting' 10 minutes seems okay
    you could say if you buy one it will last you forever
    this is true
    but if you're careful, a self made one will last you hundreds of doors. even more if you're really careful.

12. lamello

lamello New Member

Self made hinge jigs are always better. a good design will enable you to rout any door or frame.

13. chip off the block

sorry i meant jig for locks not hinges when i made the comment about time making a jig as the trend 1 is £60 and does 12 different size face plates and 4 different mortice sizes. And i clamps on the door super snug

14. duderz

duderz New Member

finaly bought the trend jig last week what a great bit of kit so simple to use and realy cuts hanging time down

15. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

Quality !,

I might be biased, but I think it's worth every penny of £60,
    It's ok making your own jig, if you only ever fit one size, type or style of lock,

Just my personal opinion,

andy@trend

16. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

if you are thinking of a lock jig as well,google the porter cable 513 and 517 portable mortiser and face template.i have one and for speed and a perfect finish you cant beat it, you can mortise a bathroom/mortise lock in about 20 seconds.no chiseling or drilling.

17. duderz

duderz New Member

£60 ? try £200 with the vat on worth every penny tho

18. lamello

lamello New Member

Where are you paying £200 for a trend lock jig.

19. chip off the block

think he is on about the big hinge jig not the lock jig