Installing A Loft Light?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Carp Addict, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Carp Addict

Carp Addict New Member

Please could someone tell me the proper way to install a flourescent light into the loft?
    Any help appreciated,Jace

2. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

Please could someone tell me the proper way to
    install a flourescent light into the loft?
    Any help appreciated,Jace

Employ an electrician. Or spend a lot of unnecessary money on the relevant testers to ensure the installation has been carried out correctly before connecting up.

3. X

X New Member

1 1/2" 8's

4. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

Good Afternoon Mr X.

Would you mind if I e-mail you later please?

5. X

X New Member

Feel free me old M8

6. *welsh.wizard*

Many Thanks.

7. *welsh.wizard*

8. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

Carpy, I feel sorry for you with regard to the forum responses but just think about the variables. There are so many no one would know where to start.

eg
    What type of supply do you have, where is the light to be switched from, is there any power available in the loft. If so what circuits are they feeding. What type of consumer unit do you have etc etc etc etc. The list is endless.

However halibut boilies, pva bags, hair rigs and plenty of spare time will help with the carp lol
    cheers
    Andy

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

10. *welsh.wizard*

Copied & pasted from a thread (FOOMAN)..

Connect some 1.5 t&e into one of the ceiling roses below the loft floor so you get a live, neutral and earth and take the end of this cable into a patress box for your loft switch where ever you are going to put it.

Take another cable from this switch to your new loft light and connect up. Now in the pattress where you are putting a switch join the cpc's together a terminate in the brass terminal at the back of the box.

The 2 neutral wires terminate in a connector block.

The remaining 2 live wires the one from the downstairs light goes into the COM OR L1 terminal and the other which goes to your loft light goes into the L1 or L2 depending how the terminals are numbered.

Last thing to do is connect your Loop inpendance tester to the loft light and while live check the loop impedance is within limits set in your wiring regs. book :)

11. SPARKS 001

SPARKS 001 New Member

That was well wrote Welsh? I love it to bits epically the bit at the end (ZS) with a little bit of the old (OSG)page 92? now fill out your minor works ect! GREAT GUY Well Done Keep up the good work 4 us all sparkies mate? see now how some idiots who choose to do it there selfs and end up with a house fire. First question is who did the work! Mr House Owner says i don't know paper work went up with the house! But some where to cover your insurance you will say "he did it that man at bla bla address" and somewhere in that mans draw will be the paper work that will validate your insurance? sorry to **** on but (get a spark in mate)

12. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Probably the easiest way carpy, would be:

1. Buy a 5ft or 6ft single florry (about £20)
    2. Buy about 10m of 3 core 1mm flex from B& Q (about £10)
    3. Buy a plug top.
    4. wire up the florry up, brown to live, blue to neutral, green/yellow to earth.
    5. Do same with plug top, put a 3 amp fuse in it.
    6. Fit the florry to the loft.

Then whenever you need to see, pull the plug down from loft and plug into the nearest socket. When you`ve done, just throw it back up.

13. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

You should not fist just ONE light in a loft-space.

I always recommend fitting two, the reason is simple should you be up in the loft doing whatever and a lamp goes then you have a backup light facility, else you may put your foot through the ceiling as you panic about in the dark!

14. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Nah, there's a cheaper way Ray!

I just a fit an Emmergency lamp alongside the loft hatch!

15. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Nah Sine. Emergency lights are expensive compared to good old florries.

Which reminds me, when fitting florries in loft spaces use the sealed ones ('vapour sealed') that way should you hit it with the dead body you are hiding in the loft you wont bust the lamp. Also it keeps that nasty creepy crawling things out as well ;)

Happy New Year Sine :)

16. Tootyfruity

Tootyfruity New Member

You should not fist just ONE in a loft-space.

I remember fisting two together.

Made a reet mess

17. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

should you hit it with the dead body you are hiding
    in the loft you wont bust the lamp. Also it keeps
    that nasty creepy crawling things out as well ;)

Having a dead body in the loft is bad, swinging it round risking damaging fluorescent tubes is down right irresponsible:_|

Mickster804 likes this.
  18. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

well spotted Tooty. My daughter was married yesterday and I am still tipsy from all the booze!

19. SPARKS 001

SPARKS 001 New Member

That was well wrote Welsh? I love it to bits epically the bit at the end (ZS) with a little bit of the old (OSG)page 92? now fill out your minor works ect! GREAT GUY Well Done Keep up the good work 4 us all sparkies mate? see now how some idiots who choose to do it there selfs and end up with a house fire. First question is who did the work! Mr House Owner says i don't know paper work went up with the house! But some where to cover your insurance you will say "he did it that man at bla bla address" and somewhere in that mans draw will be the paper work that will validate your insurance? sorry to ** on but (get a spark in mate) YOU NEED TO READ THIS CARP ADDICT i hope you aint out trying to catch the won that got away only dont try it yourself mate if you aint got a clue what your doing? if in doubt go with your man here who says wire it all up to a plug that you can just through down and plug in? pending on how you want your life style i know my wife would be right hacked off with a cable hanging down every time you are up in the loft space? still i get it up 4 nights a week good style? if you know what i mean gave up my £5,500.00 fishing gear 4 all this new life! Still miss the odd over night fish (LUCKY FU-CK-ER)?

20. *welsh.wizard*

You been on the Pop, Sparks?