240v to 12 / 24v

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gusset, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Hi All
    I need to convert a 240v petrol generator supply into two 12v / 70a feeds and one 24v / 85a feed...or possibly the other way around. Load would not be continuous, just need to run 3 motors intermittently for 3 or 4 seconds at a time.
    Had a quick look on the maplins website at their transformers but can't see anything that can supply the amps at that level. Can someone point me in the right direction or let me know if you need more info?
    Thanks in anticipation
    G

2. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Just to clarify, am trying to replace the feed from lesiure batteries on clay pigeon traps, getting fed up with hauling them about and re-charging them.

3. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

12/24 volts at those currents is goint to be a tall order, is the generator up to it?

You will need some pretty big transformers, far bigger than anything sold by Maplins I think.

4. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Just to clarify, am trying to replace the feed from
    lesiure batteries on clay pigeon traps, getting fed
    up with hauling them about and re-charging them.

In that case I very much doubt that you will need that ammount of power.

Are you getting your amps from what is written on the batteries?

5. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Correct Oliver, I know that we struggle with the 60Ah batteries and need to use 70 and 85Ah...forgive my ignorance, now I think about it Amp hour and amps are 2 different things...guess I would need to check the plates on the motors?

6. In very easy laymans terms the amp-hour is how much electricity is stored. You will probably find the rating of the motor is very low.

7. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Thanks S&S, so I guess check the motors before we proceed? Or are they likely to be 'standard' ?

8. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Yes the AH is what the battery is capable of delivering, in simple terms an 85 AH battery is able to supply a load of 85 amps for a period of one hour.

You really need to check the demand of the motors, I would suspect it's fairly high.

I am guessing the motors will be similar to car wiper motors with built in gear boxes.

9. Thanks S&S, so I guess check the motors before we
    proceed? Or are they likely to be 'standard' ?

I haven't a clue to the ratings of that type of motor, but i am sure handyandy will give another compleatly uneducated stab in the dark and offer some wrong information again.

10. Gusset

Gusset New Member

Thanks again. The motors are pretty sizeable as they have to pull back a meaty spring, but are quite low geared. Will check the plates next time I am up there and probably come back to ask more questions.
    G

11. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

If there is nothing written on them you could perhaps ask the makers or failing that an auto electrician could probably pop along and measure the current for you.

To be honest I suspect that using a 240 volt generator and transformer is likely to be expensive and probably impractical but perhaps you could use the generator with a battery charger to keep the batteries topped up on site.

You will need to switch the charger off whilst using the trap though becuase the motors will probably overload it. Hope this helps.

12. Gusset

Gusset New Member

To be honest I suspect that using a 240 volt
    generator and transformer is likely to be expensive
    and probably impractical but perhaps you could use
    the generator with a battery charger to keep the
    batteries topped up on site.

You will need to switch the charger off whilst using
    the trap though becuase the motors will probably
    overload it. Hope this helps.

The gennys are running on the day anyway, because we have some 240v traps, and we also power up the clubhouse with one. We run the shoot every 2 weeks and are only there for 5 or 6 hours, not really enough time to charge the 15 batteries we use. We have no mains elec on site to leave them on charge so we have to drag them all back to the car park and take them home. At £90 apiece they last a couple of years and for a non profit making club that is a fair outlay anyway. If we can mole a load of cables out to the traps and leave them in situ it will make the setup a lot quicker. Longer term we'd like to get mains power on so any low voltage cabling we did would be ready for that as well.
    Just on another point of interest, and I know I am opening a can of worms here, would you think that part P applies to power supplied from generators or is it mains only?
    I'm off to bed now...look forward to the replies to this one!