tonights grand designs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Captain Chaos, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

I didn't see anything about a flat roof. I agree that when it comes down to 'official matters @ the middle classes seem to get away with it. Its as if if you are one of them it's ok. If you are working class then you shouldn't be allowed too progress as it makes the pencil pushers feel insecure that a (seemingly)lower class can do better that them. either that or they are from the funny handshake brigade.
    ( grand for a fixed glass roof. 3 grand chandelier recirculating extractors. Completely impractible. I'd like to see who is going to clean it after a home cooked Chinese meal.

2. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

There is (apparently)a huge shortage of housing so planing is getting easier to get permission for houses.

My concern was how the hell did somebody get the backing to produce such a **** building system? I laughed out loud when they said its never leaked before, yeah right!

3. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Who ever supplied the waterproof additive for the concrete would/should have inspected all installation of the water bar and batching at the plant. If it had been inspected and he/she saw were the leaks were coming from it wouldn't have been passed.
    As already mentioned, they obviously didn't poker the concrete enough or maybe they were worried the gash formwork blocks would burst.
    Waterproof concrete if done correctly is a superb way of construction basements. Not cheap but saves a lot of time also.

4. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

As for doing it in one pour, this is not an option with formwork like that. It would burst with ease. Re-bar from top to bottom isn't an option either, as you need to lift the blocks over it to build it. As long as there is a lap (usually about 300mm) it is fine. Although this depends on what the engineer has specified.

Anyway, I didn't see any steel fixers or mention of a structural engineer so not surprised the re-bar was a joke.

5. John Darwin

John Darwin New Member

Anyway, I didn't see any steel fixers or mention of a
    structural engineer so not surprised the re-bar was a
    joke.

Kaintheo, you swore - await flaming from Chas Flatulence :^O

6. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Yeah I know, tell me about it. Of course he would say a structural engineer is no use on such a project. A good builder can do all that mate, he come the blackspur posse and so on...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7. Stoday

Stoday New Member

I only saw the last 20 minutes, so missed all the fun
    & games with the excavation and building. I will
    have to wait until it's repeated on more4 to watch
    that.

You can watch it today with Channel 4 on demand
    http://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html

30 year guarantee? The builder didn't even stay around to the end of the job, so some guarantee.

Fixed price contract? Ha Ha the builder bunged a bill for extras of £80k, which the numpty negotiated down to £26k. As soon as the builder got the money he f'kd off. 7 weeks later it dawned on Numpty that the builder never was coming back so he had to sub it out to get it finished.

8. MiniJK

MiniJK New Member

You can watch it today with Channel 4 on demand
    http://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html

Also the man with more money than sense has created his own website, so he must be proud of his efforts, see here: The Cheltenham House. You can rent it for a mere £1,100 a weekend, but that does include 'Freeview' so thats a real bargain (not).

The web site describes it as a "A highly glamorous and contemporary underground house" = dark expensive hole in the back garden.

9. at least they both agreed the plasterer had done a done a top job;)

10. MiniJK

MiniJK New Member

at least they both agreed the plasterer had done a
    done a top job;)

Shameless plug?

This weeks Grand Designs in Oxford, now that really did have a sharp plastering job.

11. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

. I didn't like the design and the it looks like the guy just threw money at it with the horrible copper bath, dodgy taste in floor coverings, exterior windows and doors looked too bulky. I don't think the guy had good taste, and making it a decagon, what what the point of that?
    Looked liked he wanted some sort of Morrocan style but missed it my a mile. I can't imagine anyone buying it for what it cost. In that respect it was a failure. The only success was the skill and quality of the tradesmen who produced a top quality finish.