Gas problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jasonthecladder, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jasonthecladder

jasonthecladder New Member

I've been trying to get a plumber for ages to move the gas supply for my hob from one wall to another in the same room.

I finally got a plumber in to give me a quote but just wanted to check what he told me is correct the walls are stone with a stud 2'x2' partition fixed to it.

He is proposing to run the gas pipe up inside the stud and then across the ceiling and back down the wall to the new position.

Does the pipe need to be protected as it will be hidden in the wall?

He has given me a price of £400 is this about right

2. doitall

doitall New Member

In the middle of soho perhaps otherwise he thinks your green behind the ears.

Possibly not altogether legal either, is there not a better route.

3. jasonthecladder

We cant take it under the floor

I get the impression he doesnt want the work had to keep chasing him for the quote

4. doitall

doitall New Member

I don't think he does either so make it worth his while, 400 quid hell I'd do it for that sat morning if I get an hr to spare.

How about around the wall or under the units.

5. jasonthecladder

Its a kitchen/dining room/living room and the kitchen is moving from one corner of the room to the other in order to go round the walls it would travel about 14m.

The doorway is between the current hob location and the new one.

Do the pipes have to be protected if they are in wall or is this simply not allowed?

cheers for the advice doitall

6. doitall

doitall New Member

The pipes can go in the wall but they have to be in a ventilated duct E>G> a batten down each side of the pipe will do

7. jasonthecladder

Cool thanks i think i will try and find another plumber though as he didn't mention anything about ventilated duct

8. doitall

doitall New Member

Where are you anyway, and don't sat the middle of soho

9. screwhard

screwhard New Member

Where are you anyway, and don't sat the middle of
    soho
    What a kind person you are doit,youll probably want to doit for love?

10. sooyar

sooyar New Member

The pipes can go in the wall but they have to be in a
    ventilated duct E>G> a batten down each side of the
    pipe will do

I thought you couldn't run a gaspipe in a cavity, only through it by shortest route if sleeved.

11. doitall

doitall New Member

They won't be in a cavity, its a stud wall ;)

12. sooyar

sooyar New Member

Well that's what I call that big hole between the plasterboards, a cavity. :)

13. doitall

doitall New Member

Where are you anyway, and don't say the middle of
    soho
    What a kind person you are doit,youll probably want
    to doit for love?

For 400 quid I would take the morning off without question.

Hell if the client battens the wall it will only take an hour and another hour to test

14. doitall

doitall New Member

No, its called a timber frame and perfectly acceptable, the same as a wooden floor.

15. littleplumber

littleplumber New Member

Any gas pipe(s) running through a Cavity wall should be ventilated at high & low level. Free air will be determined using corgi hand book which has the chart in in acordinance to the installation.

16. Clarts

Clarts New Member

No, its called a timber frame and perfectly
    acceptable, the same as a wooden floor.

That is illegal Doitall Best to not comment if you don't know :(

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Just out of interest why would a stud (internal)wall be classed the same as an (external) cavity wall.
    Isin't the sleeve in the outer wall in order to protect the pipe from minor movement of the structure.
    "Subsidence" I think they call it. And to allow the gas to escape in the event of a fracture by sealing the inside of the pipe on the inner skin of the wall.
    And of course to protect the pipe from the effects of corrosion.

The cavity in an external wall can surround the entire home. A space in a stud wall is restricted by the vertical battens. (400mm I think) so not strictly a cavity.

If you treat the internal stud wall as a cavity then where does the gas vent too if the pipe fractures through subsidence and indeed why would an internal wall be subject to subsidence in the first place.
    Just my thoughts.

I think the main requirement regarding sleeving in a stud wall is in order to protect the pipe against someone nailing through.
    Vertical runs only and no compression fittings allowed.

18. doitall

doitall New Member

Don't talk stupid Clarts.

You can run an Gas pipe in the stud wall

Suggest you phone the Kennel club, and buy their books, Essential gas safety would be a good one to start with