20k enough to get to roof level?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by The South, Jan 29, 2008.

1. The South

The South Member

I'm thinking of doing a lot of work on a new (quite large) two storey extension myself. I know my limits and won't be attemping the brick/block work myself, but I plan to dig the footings, do most of the oversite etc, etc..

The extension floor area is about 8mx6m roughly - is 20k going to be enough to get the foundations, oversite, brickwork (brick on outside, block on inside) and first floor joists in? Or should I be thinking 30k for this?

I know I know, not many details, but am I in the ballpark with this figure?

On top of this, how much would an 'average' (if such a thing exists) pitched roof cost? I'm thinking between 5k and 8k? Just need rough figures at this stage to convice the wife.

2. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Possibly, but then again possibly not. It all depends.

To give some idea, when I used to live in Oxfordshire, we had a 2 storey extension built about that size in 1995, and we paid a builder a fixed price of £18K to build the complete shell of the building including the roof, pebbledashing the exterior and fitting the doors and windows, including new doors and windows in the existing house. (I then finished the interior myself)

Prices will have risen since then, so you might just get your shell for that.

But then on the other hand, our new build house built in 2003 92 square metres per floor, cost us £15K just to get out of the ground due to poor ground conditions and deep foundations needed.

3. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Try spons pricing book to give you an idea.

4. mattpaint

mattpaint New Member

I am building an extension at the moment - sounds similar in size. Foundations and drains cost £4k. Up to DPC and drains £1.5 K, Blockwork, steels and 1st floor joists cost £7 K. All done by contractors. (Get a fixed price on these if possible - if problems arise it is up to the contractor to sort it out.)

I have done roof timbers, insulation, tiles, flashings, Velux windows and gutters @ £3.5 K,

Rendering £600 (and two weeks off work to do it).

Windows and doors @ £1.5 K

All water tight at the moment and just starting first fix - recon another £6 k to do the rest (elecs, plumbing, new boiler, bathroom, DS loo, plaster, 2nd fix and decorate)

Total cost should come in at around £25K.

I had three quotes to do the whole lot £45, £56 and £85K!

Do as much as you can within your limits - you may find that getting in a contractor for certain elements will be almost as cheap as they will get heavy discounts on materials.

But if you do it yourself make sure you set aside allot of time - lots of late nights, long weekends and holiday time off work.

5. The South

The South Member

thanks for taking the time to reply mattpaint, that's just the kind of info I'm after