Snagging lists???

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jockster, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jockster

jockster New Member

Hi All

Have been asked to provide a quote for snagging a recent (& sizeable) extension build. Not sure if my quote is to get back at the original contractor or really is for snagging work. I'm cynical about some customers motives, what can I say!

The list runs to 2 pages, some of which looks a bit picky, & will involves some subbie work for corgi certs & electrical certs. Maybe need to get a roofer as well. Rest of the list I can tackle with my labourer.

What's the experiences out there in similar circumstances? Anyone regretted being a 'project manager'?

Jockster

2. sam the builder

sam the builder New Member

We don't usually like to get involved in similiar circumstances, and usually tell the customer that they shouldn't have to ask us as the original builder should have to sort it out before thry get paid.

3. ­

­ New Member

If this is a recent build then I reckon you are being used as an unpaid surveyor. This list will be used against the original contractor to get remedial snagging done.

4. sam the builder

sam the builder New Member

it could even be that the guys done the job himself and knows its a shoddy job as hes not a tradesman and so brought you in to clean it up a bit. the number of posible motives is endless and a guessing game

5. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

No way should anybody completing other trades or builders snag list.

Hence the name "snag" you are snagged to that job until it's complete to receive payment. If they have paid up fully without compiling the snag list and having it completed then the customers should have done their homework before embarking on the project.

I'd walk away and avoid the headache mate.

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Tell them your hourly rate and get a signed agreement, then charge accordingly for the report! ;)

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Be careful - you are effectively taking ownership of the snagging list - all the problems could become your responsibility if you go about it wrong.

8. gangman

gangman New Member

No way should anybody completing other trades or
    builders snag list.

Depends how much you can get paid for it.

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Depends how much you can get paid for it...

...A Lot!

It becomes YOUR snagging list :(

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

well you could always sell it on :^O

11. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Yeah I suppose it does depend on how much you get paid but who on earth wants fix other peoples cock ups?

Not me, it's bloody soul destroying.

12. gangman

gangman New Member

Builder with 10k left on a job, wouldn't or couldn't finsh the job.

I was there 3 days with 2 sparks and a labourer and had over 6k of the money being held back.
    There were major problems on the electrics but the rest of the snagging was little unfinished bits, easily done.

I really can't understand builders who waste money like this. If you can't do it yourself then pay someone to do it.
    The way I see it if I go to sort out someones mess I will price it very high, it has to be that way, you don't know what you might find.

13. jockster

jockster New Member

Hi All

Thanks for the adviced & comments.

Been up to the 'prospective' customers home. The job he's been left with is a complete & utter load of sh**e. Unf*ing beleivable! Pure & utter c*ap! I'm sure the builder must have pulled up every morning on his pony! If I ever sus out how to post some photos I will, but be prepared to pish yerself laughing!

The snagging list had been completed by the customer & his Architect - he parted company with the builder in Dec 2007. It will take me & my labourer about 3 or 4 weeks to complete, and thats with bringing in some subbies. I just hope the finishing isn't an indication of whats underneath.

The great shame is the homeowner is not keen to take legal action/report to police/etc! I'd be right down to the guys house. Thankfully there's about 25% of the final cost been withheld. This kind of workmanship is what gets us all a bad name. It p*sses me right off.

I think Hotdog is right. I'll Ebay the list!

Jockster

14. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Someone on this forum probably did the work - Thats the standard of a large proportion of these d1ks.

To snag a job is to have it at an acceptable level so as to deem the goods and services 'delivered' to a standard to be expected in the eyes of a court. It doesnt mean to dig it all up and redo it.

The client paid peanuts and got monkeys - Thats usually the case. You quoting shores his credibility up to reattack the bodgers (or not) and hope to get a freebie job. If this isnt the case then the Architect is liable so why hasnt he gone after him/her?

I would steer as clear of that quote as I would of the man with no names caravan. You're a pawn

Whos gonna snag 'your' work?

15. jockster

jockster New Member

Well Charlie you make some very interesting points. Noted.

However I always snag my own work, don't you?

Nothing worse for your business than a bad reputation.

Jockster

16. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

....so why hasnt he then?

17. lamello

lamello New Member

"To snag a job is to have it at an acceptable level so as to deem the goods and services 'delivered' to a standard to be expected in the eyes of a court. It doesnt mean to dig it all up and redo it. "

Really I find a snagging list is a list of bits and bobs my customer wants sorting out( I very rarely get a list most of my customers have no issues). You Mr Farley
    on the other hand seems more tuned into the legal aspect of this. I guess that is because of the ongoing case against you for damages after you told someone the best way of ascertaining whether a wall is loadbearing was to acro it, knock the wall out and slacken them off to see if the world fell in. Or maybe you are up on law because of the amount of time you spend in the courtroom appearring as an expert witness in subsidence cases armed with your bowl of water and feather. I rest my case.

18. ­

­ New Member

:^O luverleee

19. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Priceless Lamello PMSL