Worcester Greenstar 37CDi Vs Alpha CD50 storage combo

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Spyder, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Spyder

Spyder New Member

I was all set to order a Worcester when my installer recommended the Alpha. Does anybody have an opinion on either of these models?

2. gasmanspike

gasmanspike New Member

i recommend worcester to all my customers and never had one complain yet technical back up from worcester is second to none i have never fitted a Alpha but repaired millions of them almost as many as ideal boilers so from experience i would go for the worcester other engineers may disagree but price is always a good give away you get what you pay for only thing to take into account when pricing them up is alpha has a mini storage tank the worcester doesn't

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

4. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

I do not understand why so many people rate WB. I find them overpriced, not the easiest to install and lacking with regard to installer friendliness.

I only fit them when the customer specifies them, the last 37cdi I fitted in November broke down this Feb. Fault code C6 (Incorrect fan speed) Wb attended two days later and changed the fan still no fire up, back next day and changed heat/ex. problem solved.

This system was correctly installed, ie flushed and inhibited, even the engineer said the water was crystal with no deposits.

Wb add no frills to make your life easy such as a clock nor timer built in, the filling mechanism is a joke and as for having to place 5 fibre washers onto pipes then drop boiler on top is frankly a joke. You also need to mess with the PRV and it never seems to fit properly for me. Finally they are bloody heavy for one person and they do not put a mains lead wire in.

I have to install a 30cdi this week for another oap (her son said they are the biz) following on from the Nov one I am dreading the callback.

5. gasmanspike

gasmanspike New Member

as i said other engineers will disagree. WB allows you to pipe behind the boiler unlike the alpha, which at more expense than a clock from WB you have to buy a stand off bracket to pipe behind the boiler. Enough of this i don't get commission from WB for recommending there boilers

6. Clarts

Clarts New Member

I do not understand why so many people rate WB. I
    find them overpriced, not the easiest to install and
    lacking with regard to installer friendliness.

W/B are pigs to fit I can't understand why so many fitters rate them so highly! I never fit them out of choice, Vaillant all the way...

7. rome60

rome60 New Member

i agree with smith60 worcester boilers overated having installed all well known makes.hard to compare normal combi against a storage combi,main thing with all combi"s is pressure & flow rate to work well.i have installed 4 alphaCD50 it is the only wallmounted storage boileron the market 30kw cen htg output 32kw dhw output delivers 57 litres instant domestic water with 3min storage recovery time.flow rate is 18 litres per min if you have that flow rate on incoming mcw.only thing it is a big unit 2 man lift,3 year guarantee other alpha boilers with premier jig 5 years guarantee,ideal for 2 bathroom house.

8. gasmanspike

gasmanspike New Member

i fit so many of them i don't find installation a problem at all. I do agree they could be a little bit easier to fit but it doesn't normally effect install time.

9. gasmanspike

gasmanspike New Member

also WB more reliable boiler than a Alpha head to head and at the end of the day a happy customer is a regular customer

10. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

Spike, once you have put the backing plate up and dropped your 30 to 35 Kg of boiler onto the 2 small hooks they provide, don't you ever have doubts about the overall design??

Although I would add I have never had one fall off yet.

11. mantor

mantor New Member

I would prefer a Vaillant myself, but those Alphas look alright to me. Like the Vaillant they have a stainless steel heat exchanger, which is a lot better than that ally one in the Worcesters. Besides them CDIs are a pain to work on I reckon, so I have to agree with the anti Worcester side.

12. Clarts

Clarts New Member

i fit so many of them i don't find installation a
    problem at all. I do agree they could be a little bit
    easier to fit but it doesn't normally effect install
    time.

Just think how much quicker you would be with a Vaillant...

13. doitall

doitall New Member

We haven't touched an Alpha for nearly 4 years, they gone down hill fast.

I don't like 0870 phone numbers either, I friday I spent 10mins waiting for technical to answer the damn phone, in that time I went from no 6 in a queue to no 5.

I then sent around 6 emails before I got 2 replies.

Alpha like their boilers stinks

14. Clarts

Clarts New Member

We haven't touched an Alpha for nearly 4 years, they
    gone down hill fast.

I don't like 0870 phone numbers either, I friday I
    spent 10mins waiting for technical to answer the damn
    phone, in that time I went from no 6 in a queue to no

I then sent around 6 emails before I got 2 replies.

Alpha like their boilers stinks

* chancing twunt

[Edited by: admin3]

15. doitall

doitall New Member

* chancing twunt

Like to explain Clarts, or are you one of them t00sers with a big mouth an no brain. :(

16. Clarts

Clarts New Member

Shut up you * idiot!!!

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Put the bottle down! You've had enough. Now go to bed. :)

18. Clarts

Clarts New Member

Put the bottle down! You've had enough. Now go to
    bed. :)

LOL

Funny man...

Jog on moon beam.......

19. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

20. Clarts

Clarts New Member