Electric Planer - Which One?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DRAK, Mar 13, 2008.

1. DRAK

DRAK New Member

Professional help needed.

I want to buy an electric plane to fit a mix of oak veneer doors both solid and hollow. I want to replace my manual planes with an electric.

What sort of watts power will be ok, would 500 watts be ok or do I need something more powerful?

2. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if its only a few doors 500 will do but not too much off at once score the end grain on the cut line

and in case you dont know modern veneered door are often made from realy bad wood glued together to make a single piece so dont trim off more than the maximum recomended

big all

4. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

I have trimmed doors up with a hand plane, electric plane and a router. I find that the router is better in many respects for accuracy. I use a bearing type cutter running against a clamped straight edge to the line required, It has to be wide enough so that the clamps do not block the router pathway. I feel planers are difficult to see where you are going and it is all to easy to take off too much. Maybe I am not careful enough :)

DWD

5. DRAK

DRAK New Member

Cheers chaps. A router would be nice, but I don't do enough work to warrant one really. I have found a bosch 680 watt one so think I will give that a go for £60.

Thanks also for the advice on veneer doors, since they are in my house I might upgrade to Fire doors.

6. parana

parana New Member