Shower pull cord thingy

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by stevepenk, Mar 27, 2008.

1. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Sorry dont know the correct terminology.

In the place I rent the shower on cord in in the showerrom just above the bath. I can stand under the shower and touch the cord. However whoever installed it made the hole bigger than it needed and there is a gaping hole on one side of the plastic over. I can see the wires etc and steam can get up there, the hole is enough to get 4 fingers inside.
    Is it OK to have this in the same rom above the bath??

Also the bath handles are part way down the side of the bath, both sides. The previous tenent must have pulled himself up using the handles and as they are not tight, he has cracked the bath, in fast there is a hole the size of a 50p piece where the handle meets the bath. So with this hole when I get in the bath, or use the overhead shower I can hear it dripping on the flor under the bath, which is directly above the itchen where the ceiling light is.
    My landlord said just silicone it BUT as I cannot access the handle from underneath to tighted it up (I would have to remove the bath). I have tried to silicone but when the handle is moved it just breaks the seal.
    One plumber came round and said he could either, pull the bath, tighten up handle and seal.
    Replace the bath as its got a hole in it.
    or go outside up a ladder, put a hole in the wall and fix it externally through the wall. The house has that fancy pebble dash stull on it but I havent heard of doing it that way.

Can anyone suggest any help with these two things. I havent a clue about DIY things so be gentle lol

2. Sherlock Ohms

Sherlock Ohms New Member

Do you know how to use filler?

3. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

I filled in in stages as its a big hole. But I guess no, not really. As it is so big I filed, waited for it to dry and added to it. Everytime the handle gets moved it breaks the silicone.

4. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

I filled in in stages as its a big hole. But I guess no, not really. As it is so big I filed, waited for it to dry and added to it. Everytime the handle gets moved it breaks the silicone.

I believe Sherlock is talking about the Four finger hole next to the Shower pull cord.

5. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Its quite big, there isnt a lot to fill it to if you get my drift I would be forever filling it

6. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

You need to push your landlord into fixing the problems change the bath & fix the light it will pay him to do this in the long run... I would take photos just in case he blames you for any further damage that might a cure to the ceiling etc & holds your deposit

7. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Is it ok then for the shower On cord to be in the shower room?
    I will have to ask him again although he is a terrible landlord if he thinks he has to spend a single peny

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What happened to your slot on Capital Radio Steve?

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

10. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Its been Fox Fm since then, you are 12months behind lol

11. pcelectrics

pcelectrics New Member

http://www.allupandon.co.uk/lighting/information/bathroomzones

Have a look at the diagram in the link. As long as your switch is in zone 3 it is positioned okay.

You really should not be repairing these things yourself - it's the landlords (legal) responsibility. Not your problem if water gets through the hole and brings the kitchen ceiling down.

The hole by the shower switch sounds potentially dangerous. If you don't feel competant tell the LL in writing you believe it to be dangerous and request he arranges for a repair to be carried out by a suitably qualified electrician (not himself). Give him a time limit (7 days). After this tell him you'll arrange for repair and deduct the cost from the next months rent. Take photos. Don't touch it.

Do you rent thro' an agency? Speak to them.

If he really is a shiite landlord and gets shirty, look for a new pad and give him minimum notice, or better still none (unless rented is in short supply round your way).

12. *welsh.wizard*

I like it, JP..

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Evening Welsh..all in good jest M8..:)

14. *welsh.wizard*

> Evening Welsh..all in good jest M8..:)

Naturally, JP., Naturally.

15. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

I think from the diagram its Zone 2. Its at the very end of the bath, above. The diagram shows space between the bath and end of bathroom. Our bathroom isnt like that. The bath IS the length of the bathroom, so the pull cord is at the end of the bath slightly ober towards the door, by a foot at most.

I will put it in writing to him giving him my notice of the intention to get someone in. I will then deduct if from his rent.

Thanks all for the help

16. BIG LEROY

BIG LEROY New Member

Sorry dont know the correct terminology.

In the place I rent the shower on cord in in the
    showerrom just above the bath. I can stand under the
    shower and touch the cord
    . However whoever installed
    it made the hole bigger than it needed and there is a
    gaping hole on one side of the plastic over. I can
    see the wires etc and steam can get up there, the
    hole is enough to get 4 fingers inside.
    Is it OK to have this in the same rom above the
    bath??

Also the bath handles are part way down the side of
    the bath, both sides. The previous tenent must have
    pulled himself up using the handles and as they are
    not tight, he has cracked the bath, in fast there is
    a hole the size of a 50p piece where the handle meets
    the bath. So with this hole when I get in the bath,
    or use the overhead shower I can hear it dripping on
    the flor under the bath, which is directly above the
    itchen where the ceiling light is.
    My landlord said just silicone it BUT as I cannot
    access the handle from underneath to tighted it up (I
    would have to remove the bath). I have tried to
    silicone but when the handle is moved it just breaks
    the seal.
    One plumber came round and said he could either, pull
    the bath, tighten up handle and seal.
    Replace the bath as its got a hole in it.
    or go outside up a ladder, put a hole in the wall and
    fix it externally through the wall. The house has
    that fancy pebble dash stull on it but I havent heard
    of doing it that way.

Can anyone suggest any help with these two things. I
    havent a clue about DIY things so be gentle lol

Whoopie * doo.

Since when has string beeen conductive?

[Edited by: admin4]

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:^O

19. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

I dont know if it was dangerous, hence the question. Thanks for the help tho

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Your pull-switch should be fine where it is as long as it is correctly IP rated. Unfortunately, it isn't, because of the hole.

It is dangerous,and i would think most would say it needs urgent remedy.

Can't see why you can't reach taps. Difficult, but with torch and mirror, and proper tools, should be able to be reached to tighten(It was put in there somehow).

But the leak(hole) at the tap/bath, you'll never get it fixed. New bath.

Mr. Handyandy - really