Wires at Ceiling Rose

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pete267, May 14, 2008.

1. pete267

pete267 New Member

Working on new build house where we initially fitted standard ceiling roses. Now the place is completed the lady of the house has been out and purchased many weird and wonderful light fittings that we have to install. What do you guys do if the light fitting just doesnt have the room to safely take all the wires that meet at the rose?. Especially in the bathroom where we have
    1: Feed in
    2: Feed out
    3: Switch wire
    4: 3core + earth to timed extractor fan

Use a small JB and poke in through hole in ceiling ?

Thanks

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Whatever's required...

;)

3. pete267

pete267 New Member

I'll get a few reels of black tape then :)

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

As ext says, whatever's required.
    I usually use a 'chockbox' these days, they fit through the same size hole as the small JB's and have more room inside plus cable restraint,
    regards.

5. southelec

southelec New Member

I'm sure I've seen a choc block just for this purpose in a recent P.E. mag. it has enough terminals inside to do the job properly and is shaped to push up into the ceiling space.

6. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

Which is why you should always loop in and out of the switch box, even if ceiling roses are to be fitted.

7. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

spot on oscar. Got to be mad to loop at the fitting imo.
    OP - just graft them in - feking frustrating job that will be wrestling all that lot into connectors. You will be telling us it was wired in 1.5 next :^O

8. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

You can sink circular dry lining boxes in sometimes OP if the circumstances let you.

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

This is what I use, available from TLC and all good wholesalers.

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Here at £2 each

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Very nice No 2...

Not seen those before..

12. pete267

pete267 New Member

Yes, very nice, I assume they are a lot cheaper trade. And yes, all lighting wired at 1.5mm. Although I still dont see why it's considered bad practice to wire lighting in 1.5mmith swtich wire in 1mm .......

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Even if you use the loop-in-loop-out method at the switch for the incoming feed and switch control you still need to loop-in-loop-out to each individual downlighter especially if using ELV units as the 12V side of things should be kept to an absolute minimum

14. I like them there junction boxes.
    Speedy looking number.

15. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Although I still dont see why it's considered bad practice to wire lighting in 1.5mmith swtich wire in 1mm <

Neither do I!

16. fooman

fooman New Member

thats all i ever use as 1mm is too flimsy and breaks easy when screwing them down.

17. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Same here, but Lucia accused me/us of being 'Ham fisted' if we cannot terminate 1mm without damaging it! :(

However that was not my point really, it was more to do with re-terminating cables, alterations and testing where the more robust 1.5mm is superior!

18. southelec

southelec New Member

This is what I use, available
    from TLC and all good wholesalers.

They're the kiddies I was thinking of.

19. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Same here, but Lucia accused me/us of being 'Ham
    fisted' if we cannot terminate 1mm without damaging
    it! :(

However that was not my point really, it was more to
    do with re-terminating cables, alterations and
    testing where the more robust 1.5mm is superior! :D

Lucia wondered why you didn't have problems with the 1mm cpc of the 1.5mm cable ? :)

20. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

1mm, 1.5mm each to you own. I never snap 1mm. Terminating - re-terminating whatever.
    Those jbs look the ones to solve the problem although look a pig to wire up. I would never swap my j201 for above downlights as they are so quick to do. I and i am sure you lot can near as damm set your cables perfect for em before even putting the jb on. They can stick "you need these to comply" sales pitch up there ****