No nail or grip fill?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Major Mal Funxion, Jun 27, 2008.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

I think the OP is asking about this for his own house, and possibly also planning to do the work himself.

Under these circumstances, I personally wouldn't bother either my arris or my purse going out to hire a spit gun for this.

And I would use an adhesive to hold the battens in place as well as cutting them for a tight fit, as we all know that internal timber shrinks...

2. medgard

medgard New Member

gripfill

3. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

NO grifill max (black tube):)

4. Major Mal Funxion

Major Mal Funxion New Member

Dirty D

I hear what your saying chief, it's just that it's only a itty bitty steel 4m in length and 150mm deep, i'll set up a bit of a band stand, so once i've cut me nog's i'll be up there for an hour max, with gripfill...and don't worry i'll have me stetson on.

5. murrmac

murrmac Member

dirty deeds, forgive me for being a bit thick here, but I still don't visualise how the spit gun works in this operation.

are you nailing vertical noggins between both flanges, or are you nailing a continuous length of batten along each flange ?

presumably you are shooting through the wood into the steel, so presumably you would have to grind off each protruding nail, at least on the underside of the beam.

or have I got it completely wrong ?

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

one steel beam ?

drill and bolt

i wouldnt advocate glue

7. murrmac

murrmac Member

cancel that last post, the penny has dropped.

you cut the noggins slightly shorter than the distance between the flanges, and then nail them into the web of the beam, right?

8. Major Mal Funxion

DD

You're worse than the Mrs...looks like i'll avta do it the right way, or she'll never let me forget, especially it if the covings on the floor first time a door gets slammed!

9. Major Mal Funxion

Anyways

Show me this spit gun you speak of.

10. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

This must be a wind up by some.
    A spit gun to do one beam.I,ve never used one in twenty years of building.Cut noggins and hammer tight then screw a lath or 2x1 horizontally.
    It may be tricky getting tight noggins by hand but with a mitre saw its a ten minute job.Or you could spend half a day hiring a spit gun.....:(

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Two full lengths of 125mmx65mm timber, two holes and two 140mmx8mm bolts, countersunk.

Mr. Handyandy - really

12. handcraft

handcraft New Member

half a day hiring a spit gun ?

lee

13. dual193

dual193 New Member

Its noggins for me too if you are good like me... it takes no longer than hanging around hire shops lets keep it simple, joinery and carpentry are not jobs you are supposed to rush at i.m.o

14. ­

­ New Member

Cut the timbers tight and hammer them in. Then apply lots of Gripfill all round, followed up with the Hilti gun.

When all this is done, drill and bolt the timbers.

Now cast the whole beam in a strong resin.

After three months curing, the resin will be ready for its protective coat of corrugated iron sheeting and cling film.

15. Major Mal Funxion

It was a slow starter this one , but thanks for the variety of advice peeps. It's good to see almost a 50-50 split on this one. I'll probably decide what to do next time her back is turned.. *appropriate smiley!*

Still avent mastered them smiley things!