Fireplace render

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by starbuild, Jun 27, 2008.

1. starbuild

starbuild New Member

I need to render the inside and back of a fireplace opening before fitting a wood burning stove. Can anyone please suggest a mixture that will withstand the heat, without cracking?

2. refurb

refurb New Member

I did mine with plastering sand, 4 to 1 cement, added a little PVA, been solid ever since, that was 2 years ago

3. starbuild

starbuild New Member

Thank you for that answer. I'm surprised you have got away with using such a strong mixture not cracking. I was under the impression that a weaker mixture was less likely to crack. Is adding lime a possibility? What thickness of coat did you use?

4. Rat

Rat New Member

Firts im new, hello.

With out starting another thread on this subject, just thought i would bump this one up. i also need to render/plaster the inside of a fireplace to a decorative finish, my main concern is that it will crack when the wood burning stove is used. What type of mixtures or what practices have other people done on previous jobs? I have researched this topic for the past week and a half and can’t seem to find a definite answer. Please help.

Thanks

5. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

probably better to tile it, esp porcelain tiles they are solid, render and tile, saves painting it later and will wipe clean, dont use a white grout though , regardless of tile colour

6. Rat

Rat New Member

I have suggested this to them, however they want to have it painted, i'm meant to be doing the job Friday, someone must have done this in the past? Any one?

7. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

I have done some of these, i tend to try and use a sand and lime mix, it seems to deal with the differences in heat a lot better than sand and cement. if thats any help

8. Rat

Rat New Member

what type of ratio did you use?

9. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

3 sand 1 lime, but coarse grit sand