Rising damp on removed chimney brest

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Boxafrogs, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Boxafrogs

Boxafrogs New Member

Hi all, I have a victorian cottage that has been added to over the years.It has solid,soft red walls. The chimney has been removed but the wall (no longer an outside wall) remains damp.The floor has been concreted.I have removed plaster to a metre high.
    What I need to do is to seal the wall and plaster/plasterboard the wall which will be behind kitchen cabinets.What I don't know is which product/plaster would be best to use. Some advise would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Before you do anything I would suggest you get it damp proofed.

If the damp proofing needs to be done higher up then tank the wall up to dpc level before you plaster.

If you intend to plaster, using sand cement with the additive the damp proofing co can sell you should be fine.

3. nigel

nigel Guest

Check the roof where the chimney was removed.Damp cannot rise.

4. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Damp cannot rise.

Pfffttt.

5. mack4

mack4 New Member

Yeah,he needs to ask Leonard Rossiter about that.Don't you need a vent where the chimbley was?

6. mof

mof Member

It may not be rising damp but damp caused by salts left over from the salts in the smoke and soot.If so you will need to seal the brickwork before plastering.

7. ecm

ecm New Member

Damp cannot rise.

:'(

Don't post on subjects you know nowt about, it only serves to mislead and confuse other posters. If you're going to post on topics like this, familiarise yourself with capillary action, hydraulic diffusivity and sorptivity in masonry.

8. Boxafrogs

Boxafrogs New Member

Thanks to every one who has replied. I have worked out what to do now.

9. RANTER

RANTER New Member

well,every day in every way i learn a little more.sorptivity,wow!boy am i glad i know nothing at all about any thing.now then,now then.

10. RANTER

RANTER New Member

do you know the difference between a belfast sink and a london sink?when you do,you will know if damp can rise.

11. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

"Check the roof where the chimney was removed.Damp cannot rise. " NIGEL thats quality :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

12. nigel

nigel Guest

13. nigel

nigel Guest

14. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

NIGEL "The myth that surrounds rising damp continues. Mike Parrett has not found a true case of rising damp due to the failure of an existing physical damp proof course in walls."

Boxafrogs "I have a victorian cottage."

whats the chance there is NO DPC in a victorian cottage, its all in the post, somtimes you just gotta read it right! :)

15. ecm

ecm New Member

Nigel, have you actually read those links you posted? Here's a few quotes from them in case you haven't:-

"Mike's work in proving the rarity of rising damp due to a failure of the physical damp proof course is saving the Council £160,000 per year."

"Rising damp is a very rare phenomenon."

"The damp-course industry holed below the water line. An entertaining factual account of the mis-selling of remedial damp-proofing work." - Professor Malcolm Hollis author of 'Surveying Buildings'.

I wouldn't disagree with any of those statements, but none of them state damp doesn't rise! In fact, on the contrary, they confirm it occurs.

Enlighten yourself with a read through these:-
    BRE Technical Document 245, rising damp in walls – diagnosis and treatment by Trotman
    BS6576:2005 code of practice for diagnosis of rising damp in walls
    Surveying Buildings – Hollis (Yep, the same guy quoted above – it used to be a standard 1st year degree text that one :p)

Oh and by the way, don't believe everything you read on the net. ;)