any ideas....perfect finish between old ceiling and new.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dan1, Aug 4, 2008.

1. dan1

dan1 New Member

I' ve got a job repairing two 800x800 holes in a (plasterboard and skimmed) ceiling caused by a flood.
    The guy wants a prefect finish without re-plastering the whole ceiling.
    In the past i would have replace the plasterboard, taped the join and then feathered it as best as i could. Then after sanding add a bit of filler to the paint to mask the difference in finishes between the filler and old plaster.
    i have found the join in the past to be slightly visible sometimes.
    Does anyone have any ideas, tecniques or good products to get a invisible join that wont crack.
    cheers dan

2. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

you need to tell "the guy " that it would be a lot quicker to plaster the whole heap.

3. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Then after sanding add a bit of filler to the
    paint to mask the difference in finishes between the
    filler and old plaster

Before any painting, use some Knauf Easi-fill joint filler to blend the two surfaces - use a heat gun on low to help dry it out quickly if the depth is more than a couple of mil - once dry, sand with 240 or finer to make it nice and smooth and THEN mist-coat and paint.

Don't add filler to paint - with respect it's crackers, how are you to sand smooth and achieve a proper finish if your filling medium is your final coat?

P.S. Just as if you'd replaced an entire 8 x 4 board back to the joists, you need to be able to fully support your repair and make it completely rigid if you don't want it to crack - If you're able to, try bonding an additional piece of plasterboard above with some dri-wall adhesive, but if you can only access from below then try feeding batons into the void to brace internally...and DON'T use scrim tape, dig out the joint instead - you just dont have the depth to mask the scrim.

Hope this helps

Good luck

4. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Tell the guy if he wants perfect then the whole ceiling needs to be palstered. It's sounds like it's an insurance job so the insurance company will pay.

Ceilings are very difficult to get perfect after repairs and it sounds to me like your guy could be a pain in the **** if it's not perfect

5. T-C

T-C New Member

asuming the ceiling is now dry scrap back the old paint work, and apply a coat of bin thinned with meths to an area around the old ceiling. let this dry. when dry lightly sand with a "Abranet" sander. cut a ve joint all round the new plasterboard, asumeing you have put noging in to surport the boards. gun in water based no nail of simulat. put a fibre tape over this and smoth off. when dry apply and feather easy fill. do this three times lightly sanding, with the "Abrenet" finally the final coat should be mixed thin. the repair will completly disapear. seal this reapair and then pain the ceiling as per you normal spec. T-C

6. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Tell the guy if he wants perfect then the whole
    ceiling needs to be palstered. It's sounds like it's
    an insurance job so the insurance company will pay.

Ceilings are very difficult to get perfect after
    repairs and it sounds to me like your guy could be a
    pain in the **** if it's not perfect

Bet the owner's got quotes from 2 or 3 top-price firms, been paid out from the insurance and is now looking to pocket the difference by employing a local man for less money...:(

7. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Totally agree with Bertie on this, if he wants perfect then splash some cash, tight git!

8. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

You should apply a skim of plaster to the board after taping the joint. Then use easifill between the old and the new plaster as per the Bodgers suggestion. This should give a pretty good finish, but its only as good as your own plastering ability.

IWS: Information With a Smile :)