Getting Paid

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by PAYMENTENGINEER, Aug 13, 2008.

1. PAYMENTENGINEER

PAYMENTENGINEER New Member

Hello I am new to this forum and I would like any stories/anecdotes/ideas you may have....about customers paying you for the work you have done

I am preparing a training course for engineers and assisting them in overcoming problems they encounter with the customer paying for the call out and / or parts/labour supplied etc.

Do you get this? How do you overcome the excuses you get & still get paid? Any funny stories?

Also (I do specalise in this kind of work, but havent done anything for engineers before) are things getting harder for people/companies out there? Do you think people are struggling more?
    Regards

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

What sort of "engineers" are you training? I did a 4 year apprenticeship, 4 years at Tech to get my M E T part 3 & after 40 years experience, I'm still officially a technician.....I wish that I had done one of these "magic" courses. :(

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Ok, whatever excuse you get from the customer is A LIE!
    Favourite excuse usually has something to do with a close relative passing away, it's a lie.
    They think a death in the family allows them to swerve the payment as you won't be heartless enough to push them for the money, it's a lie!
    2nd is finding fault with your work, this is to get a big discount off the agreed price, it's a lie!
    I no longer give a discount for this and will always attend to any snagging rather than have them get one over on me, regardless of how much time and effort i have to put in to reslove these "faults"
    There are hundreds more but i'm off to the bog at the min!

4. ­

­ New Member

Hurry up audi, are you egg bound?

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

ahh that's better, jeez that'll have the sewerage department earning their wages this week!!!!!!!

6. Seismic gunner

Seismic gunner New Member

Don't go telling the water company you can't pay because you just laid 1 to rest

7. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

What sort of "engineers" are you training? I did a 4
    year apprenticeship, 4 years at Tech to get my M E T
    part 3 & after 40 years experience, I'm still
    officially a technician.....I wish that I had done
    one of these "magic" courses. :(

Seems different industries use the term "Engineer" in different ways. I worked a lot in the Burglar alarm industry and we were all called either service engineers or installation engineers despite the fact that many of us didn't even have 2 O Levels to rub together let alone a qualification in engineering.

8. Seismic gunner

Seismic gunner New Member

What sort of "engineers" are you training? I did a
    year apprenticeship, 4 years at Tech to get my M E
    T
    part 3 & after 40 years experience, I'm still
    officially a technician.....I wish that I had done
    one of these "magic" courses. :(

Seems different industries use the term "Engineer" in
    different ways. I worked a lot in the Burglar alarm
    industry and we were all called either service
    engineers or installation engineers despite the fact
    that many of us didn't even have 2 O Levels to rub
    together let alone a qualification in engineering.

An engineer is a person who is professionally engaged in a field of engineering. Engineers are concerned with developing economical and safe solutions to practical problems, by applying mathematics and scientific knowledge while considering technical constraints.[1][2] As such, the work of engineers is the link between perceived needs of society and commercial applications. Some consider this profession to be the link between art and science.

9. PAYMENTENGINEER

PAYMENTENGINEER New Member

I am dealing with Heating Engineers, who mainly deal with domestic customers, some commercial