flip over saws

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by clarky74, Aug 28, 2008.

1. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

I was looking at getting a flip over saw, possibly dewalt and was wondering if someone can answer a couple of questions:
    1/ do they usually do double bevels ie motor housing tilt both ways when in chop saw mode?
    2/ is the all in one machine as good as two separate chop saw and saw bench?

2. !!

!! Active Member

I bought a dewalt radial arm saw last year and it's far better than any chop saw and rips up to 610mm. Not much bigger than a flip saw either

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have the dw742 great bit off kit well constructed take 5 mins to convert between each mode because of the riving knife

if you exclude the attaching the riving knife and gaurd its approching 15 seconds to flip ;)

it mitres left and right and bevels to one side

i would say your always better with 2 saws but at a cost

big all

4. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

I don't know if the "Elu" brand exists anymore but I bought a "flip over" in 1991 and it's still going strong. Great piece of kit. The only downside is it's so bloody heavy! I also have an Elu cordless screwdriver which is fifteen years old and apart from a couple of replacement batteries and brushes still cuts the mustard. Futhermore I have a Bosch jigsaw which must be nearly twenty years old and it seems to have plenty of "grunt" left in it.
    The moral of this little story is: I paid top whack for my kit a long time ago but it was money well spent and bloody good value for it.
    If your tools earn you a living you should get the best you can afford!

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo chekhove the dw 742 is the elu with a dewalt badge

[​IMG]

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/workshop003.jpg

7. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Big Al: so what you are saying is DeWalt took over Elu and re-branded it? Well, nothing wrong with that if the quality remains the same. I was under the impression that Black & Decker bought the Elu brand name or was it just the company? What the hell,does it really matter? If your version of the saw I bought performs as well as mine I'm sure you are well pleased with it.

8. i hope this works

i hope this works New Member

Dewalt and Black&Decker are same company

9. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

"Dewalt and Black & Decker are the same company."
    No doubt you are probably right... one caters for the professionals and the other the "Diy" market. Nothing wrong with that as long as "professionals" don't turn up for work with "Black & Decker kit! Why? 'Cos it's ****!

10. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

hope they have improved the gaurd on the dewalt vrsion as he elu 1 relied in a small wheel at the front that never reall work so i would end up tieing it up out the way

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the dw 742 it is completly unmodified from the elu indeed the the spares are fully interchangable

you can also get the dw 743 that is identical with a switch on the handle for chopping

there is now an updated version that looks very simmilar but more rounded edges

and the wheels still there

www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=12705703&strPageHistory=cat

big all

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

updated version is a 743n
    www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/flip-saw-cid73.html?gclid=CPGi7NrwspUCFQ0yQgodiiD7Pw