Fridge Door opening problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by wick, Sep 1, 2008.

1. wick

wick New Member

Hi

I have a built in fridge in my kitchen.

It is behind a wooden door [which is connected by plastic "sliders" so that when you open the outer door the inner fridge door is "normally" opened.

For several years all has worked OK but now the fridge door has become so stiff to open that the plastic sliders break away from the door.

Its not that the hinges are stiff its just that the fridge door seal is so effective that it creates a vacuum which requires considerable force to pull open.

There is nothing sticky on the seal or carcass so I cant understand why it has become so difficult to open

On built in fridges is the a vent that should reduce this internal vacuum ?

I read somewhere that a lubricant on the seal might help - anybody done this ? any choice of lube that doesnt damage the seal? [interesting experience of vaseline!?! -that shoud get some hits !]

All [clean] suggestions valued

Wick

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Wick..

Clean both surfaces thoroughly and then with a cloth wipe some silicone lube around the seal and where it closes onto the frame..wipe off any surplice lube.

It may help.

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

............sounds like a night in with the Wife!

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It coud work Sine..it would make (or maybe make) the seal/s a tad more flexible..

Would say vaseline but thats a tad messy.

5. stoneroses

stoneroses New Member

I have a problem with my fridge also, every time I close the door the bleeding light turns off. I've taken it back 3 times now but I keep getting the same fault.
    I'm now in the process of writing to the manufacturer.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Leave the door off..problem solved.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sorry Sine..but must admit don't like being called disgusting with respect to that by Ms Fermi..it was an idea.

Maybe no good fair nuff..but if I can visualize the prob correctly then it may help.

Anyway what the heck.

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

JP you're 'getting' everyone ALL WRONG 2night mate, no-ones 'avin-ago' mate!

Av a glass of wine and all will be well! ;)

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Rebound effect I suppose Sine..have a good one M8..:)

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I had that game as a Child! :)

Bloody rubber bands kept snappin' though! :(

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, suggesting ANY lube to be smeared on the seal will have the oppsite effect of what you are trying to achieve. The strength of the seal would be much stronger with any lube as it would create a BETTER seal.

The rubber seal should be washed along with the frame that it sits on, and DRIED thoroughly. Also, if your temp is set too high, this can increase the vacuum(feel the vacuum on a freezer door).

Try washing and thoroughly drying.

If after all of that, it is still too strong, try rubbing on with you finger a little talcum powder, ON THE RUBBER.

Hope that helps.

For the other bloke, take the bulb out. Then it won't go off when you shut the door. :(

Mr. Handyandy - really

12. This is a more common fault on feezers.
    When the door is opened warm air enters the freezer.
    When the door is closed the warm air becomes cold and contracts.
    sucking in the door.

10 points as usual to sinewave for a correct answer
    :)

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmmm..I refuse to believe that you can create a vacuum ( remember we are implying a ''held vacuum'') in a fridge or freezer or whatever..

Poppycock..:|

14. i hope this works

i hope this works New Member

Now if we hold the vaccume theory to be true fridges have a hole at the back where condensation can darin into a tray that sits above the motor for it to evaporate. If this hole became blocked then air couldn't enter to cancel the vaccume.

I'd check the drain hole at the back isn't blocked!

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I rather think the word ''vacuos'' is operative with respect to this whole dastardly fridge seal topic.

I rest my case..:)

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

LD?..

Cripes he must be wining and dining his missus..

Flipping heck like mon..

Cue..Moonlight Sonata in C minor..

:)

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Or is that C major?

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Or it could be C sharp minor or C minor sharp..

Woteva..:)

19. ipcelect

ipcelect New Member

check the drain hole in the back of the fridge wall is not blocked and hence not passing air in when opening the door.