Showerpump versus unvented hotwater tank.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by noeyeddeer, Sep 19, 2008.

1. noeyeddeer

noeyeddeer New Member

I asked a plumber round to get a quote on having a pump fitted for my new ensuite shower, and existing bathroom shower. He told me that I would be better off having a new mains fed hot water tank, which should be sufficient to supply both. The water pressure round here is quite good. My existing hot water tank is 20 years plus old and we have hard water.
    Should I stick with my original plan or go with the new tank option?

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

An unvented mains fed cylinder is a very good option and will give you decent pressure hot water everywhere in your home.

3. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

It's a more expensive option but in the long term a better one, recently installed one in my own house and the shower will now pin you against the wall and no noisy pumps or tanks filling up.
    It has to be fitted though by a qualified plumber who has a unvented G3 unvented ticket,no way is it a diy option, and has to be notified to building control.

4. rome60

rome60 New Member

Yes Megaflo unvented.;)

5. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

un vented costs £500 for the cylinder then fitting etc, decent pump£200 , then probably new tank as your old one aint big enough or aint byelaw 30 compliant, also how big is your current cylinder ?? then new dedicated piping to your showers from the pump, choice is yours

6. dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress New Member

We replade a pump / tanks with a megaflow and the water pressure / amount of HW is wonderful.

The only negative is that we went from using an average of 500 litre per day to nearly 750 Litre per day due to the extra long showers we started having following installation.

When u got a meter, u suddenly notice the hole in your pocket!!!!!!!!!

DD

7. mully123

mully123 New Member

The downside of fitting an unvented system is your increasing the pressure on 20 year old hot water pipes,if these are in good nick all well and good,people are now writing disclaimers to cover such an eventually.

8. rome60

rome60 New Member

Go for an unvented that is the system mostly used on new build today,can also incorparate solar in the future.The only existing pipe which will take a real increase in pressure is the hot water domestic & the heating only a moderate increase.Copper pipe used years ago was a much thicker grade, apart from a period when copper was in short supply and really poor quality.;)

9. noeyeddeer

noeyeddeer New Member

Thanks to everyone who has replied.
    Looks like I might be forking out a bit more moneyn than I originally intended, but I am a bit worried about my existing hot water piping taking the increased pressure.