Audi-Evo & Others - help appreciated

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dangerousdistress, Sep 19, 2008.

1. !!

!! Active Member

my spelling is awful

2. dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress New Member

thanks for the technical explanation of cupping . bridging etc gonzo. Not sure what you mean by the cross grain run?

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

It really seems you are bent on passing all of the blame to the fitter.
    Although you say you appreciate the problems caused by incorrect humidity you still suspect (or blame maybe) the fitter.
    You ask about cupping, it is caused by uneven ammounts of moisture in the same plank, so wet on the bottom dry on the top.
    I think if it was moisture from below you would have cupping and not buckling.
    What you have is simply, wood fitted into a space, it did fit, it had and expansion gap, it was acclimatised.
    Now it doesn't fit, it is bigger than the space it occupies, where can it go?
    It can only go up, it will rise because that is an easier path than moving the walls (it will do this later)
    How is it that the floor has grown?
    Something has been added, what?
    Water!!!!!!!!!
    It has sucked up water and expanded, now it has so much force on it because it has hit the surrounding walls that it has sepperated from the subfloor.
    Check the humidity, get a dehumidifier!!!!!!!!!!!

4. !!

!! Active Member

run across the width of the boards

5. !!

!! Active Member

i would check the radiator pipes if it breaks those you're in trouble

6. dangerousdistress

Audi.

Apologies if you think I am determined to blame the fitter. I am not but I do wish to understand the likely causes of the defect and the processes involved. If the problem was our useage then so be it. Equally the fitter says it is due to failure of the DPC in the the floor.

However, Will do as advised and try a dehumidifier.

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

aye seen a few bend and one or two sheared straight across, oh and a stud wall move two inches!!!!!!!!
    The fitter may have made a right ar se of it but may be not his fault.

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Get a cheap hygrometer and run it for a few days.
    Also what area do you live in?
    If you have wood temperature and humidity controlled it just won't move, you will have no trouble.
    For the floor to move that much in a week it is something serious, we are talking an inch just to close the gaps then god knows how much more to make it rise.
    You are talking about acclimatised wood fitted with gaps.
    Acclimatising does just that, the idea is that the wood will do most of it's expanding before it is fitted, so when it is fitted it will hardly grow.

9. !!

!! Active Member

A rise of 100mm in the centre of the room (assuming that the 4 metres is cross grain) means that had the flooring been butted to both walls either side it would have needed to expand by 40mm

10. !!

!! Active Member

anyway, I'm drunk and sleepy. I'd say that the amount of expansion is exesive perhaps due to unsealed screed, perhaps the screed was still too damp or humidity. i doesn't sound like the floor had a suitable primer.

I'd want to know the moisture content of the oak before I couldreally settle on a course of action

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

so 65mm in a week, wow!!!!!!!!
    ok, get an axe, chop out the last row, and leave it for another week, it will just grow into the space!

12. dangerousdistress

Thanks guys, it has been good talking.

One further bit of info, I tested one plank in the remaining unopened carton of flooring with a protimeter and the WME was

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

you have a protimeter and decided to use it after the floor failled, strange!!!!