Wood burning stove

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by The fireman, Oct 2, 2008.

1. The fireman

The fireman New Member

I've just installed a wood burning stove, the smallest one on the market, in a shed at the end of our garden. It complies with all the rules and regs and it's a good 100ft from the back of the house. We're using well seasoned wood, so minimal smoke, but the neighbours have complained. They reckon the fumes are dangerous and they're complaining about the smell of smoke in their house. Does anyone have any advice for ways in which we can do other things to reduce the smoke (other than not use it)? I'd be grateful for advice.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Smokeless fuel! :^O

Unfortunately yer can't get that in wood form! :(

3. The fireman

The fireman New Member

Nice one :)

It's wood only unfortunately. I was wondering if there was some attachment for chimneys that does a better job at spreading the smoke maybe?

4. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Why is it in the shed ? sorry I don't have an answer but my multi fuels is in the living room and its toasty :)

Could you try a taller flue ?

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Could you try a taller flue ?

Now why didn't I think of that? :(

Cracking Idea!

6. dual193

dual193 New Member

I have installed a good few stoves and have had one in all of my homes.. I cannot comment on your model as I don't know which one it is but I mainly go for the ones that control the burn rate so the smoke (smoke is unburned fuel) is burnt away..(this only works when the fire is up to temp).
    My suggestion would be to get the fire really hot and close it right down (as much as you can) at the flu so the unburnt fuel ie smoke will be burnt away.. I have also found that good clean dry hardwood gives off a lot less fumes..

7. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

is it a exempt stove ? most areas have been under the clean air act of 1978 so you cant use any stove except a exempt model, i am in the process of getting mine done now, if your neighbours complain to the council you could be in trouble !