Water dripping from underside of my boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Surj, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Surj

Surj New Member

Hi All,

I've noticed that water is slowly dripping from the underside of my boiler when it's on.

What concerns me is that it's splashing an electrical socket.

I've tried looking (with a torch) to see if I can spot whereabouts it's coming from but without any luck? All of the waterpipes/and their connections that go into and come out of the boiler seem to be dry.

Any ideas which part(s) inside the boiler maybe causing this?

I'm going to call out the gas man but wondered if it sounded like a common thing to some of the more experienced people on this forum.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

without taking the casing off, its impossible to tell,could be the auto air vent, or a busted heat exchanger or many things inbetween,

3. mully123

mully123 New Member

Why you not working Tom,still in holiday mode?

4. Surj

Surj New Member

OK, I thought it may be impossible to tell without getting a closer look at it.

Thanks anyhow.

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

am working sarge, just popped home for a brew and order some stuff for thurs,still not firing on all four cylinders though :(

6. Surj

Surj New Member

well I've now noticed that the dripping seems to be coming from the flexible/bendy pipe at the bottom of my boiler.
    The drip itself appears to be coming from the bend of the pipe and not from the terminals of the pipe, if that makes sense.

Should I try double-check that the terminals are fully tightened anyway?

Could it be a simple case of the replacing the pipe itself or the seal/washers?

7. rome60

rome60 New Member

Probably a split in the flexi condense pipe,or loose connection where it fits on to the trap.;)

8. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

its just the condencing pipe then,its just a push fit or glued joint and needs refitting, childs play, HOI VON where are you ? job for you here...not worth a busy plumbers worthwhile, he'd want min call out £30 depends where you are,, have a play about with it yourself, there's only water in it when the boilers working.

9. Surj

Surj New Member

excellent, thanks for the replies folks.
    I'll give it a tighten and monitor it.

Would a bucket underneath suffice if I have to replace the pipe due to a split/break? Or should I get someone who knows boilers to drain it and refill it?

10. rome60

rome60 New Member

If its the condense pipe water will not run out unless boiler is working.;)

11. Surj

Surj New Member

It's a metal flexible hose similar in appearance to the type you see beneath sinks.

I'd only dare undo the connections with the boiler switched off :)

12. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

oh its the filling loop then,,yea best not to tinker with that

13. rome60

rome60 New Member

Yes as said get a plumber to sort it.;)

14. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Suri, what make of boiler is it? Some have a known 'fault' with this symptom.

If the connection is on the pressurised CH side (assuming it's a combi boiler), you'll have a wonderful spray of 'water' if you don't de-pressurise the system first.

By all means - if there is a brass nut at the end of the pipe where the water is coming from - try 'tweaking ' it tight by a nut 'flat' at the most.

But, if you aren't 100% happy about what you're doing, then don't do it.

15. Surj

Surj New Member

Right, thanks for the clarification. I'll try tightening the nut but I've got no problem with getting a professional in otherwise.

It's an Ariston Micro Genus 2 28 MFFI

16. Darren Mckeown

Darren Mckeown New Member

Hi. I've just come across this old thread as I too have the same boiler ( Ariston Micro Genus 2) with the same problem and was wondering what the outcome was. My boiler has recently slowly started to drip from undernieth on the right hand side. I currently have a bowl which seems to be catching about ten centimetres a day (though some days nothing comes out at all). I've not had chance to properly inspect the boiler yet so not sure where the water is dripping from.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get someone out, could be a few things wrong!