Private/Domestic Work & CSCS

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by trowelmeister, Oct 13, 2008.

1. trowelmeister

trowelmeister New Member

Hi there,just wondering how many guys on here have got their cscs card by just doing private and domestic work,
    instead of site.I'm finding it impossible to get any site work at the moment for evidence towards nvq,and with most employers asking
    for cscs,i was wondering if it's possible getting it by
    just doing private/domestic work?

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

anyone can sit the cscs, depending on your qualifications will depend on the color card you get, blue, green and gold i think......

3. Certainly you can make a living with private work, the problem is that it take time to become established.

When I started out the first couple of years were hard, but I started building a good customer base, even though I've now stopped trading my regular customers still call up asking if I'm back working yet.

If you can start with friends and relatives doing stuff cheaply, try a few flyers and so on.

Run a search or two on these forums on self employment and starting up, loads of useful info.

Also have a chat with the tax man, tell him what your doing, you don't need CSCS card for private work, but I don't what the situation would be if you've got one and you then do private stuff.

Not the best of times to start, but if youcan get going now, then in better times it will be easy.

Good luck.

4. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

You can get the cscs card on the basis of previous experience. A mate of mine got his purely on his experience. He did work on sites before the cscs scheme came in though.

5. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

The CSCS card is just another scam which YOU have to pay for. It's all part of the never ending beaurocracy eminating from Brussels as part of the plan to create a federal European State. Having said that, it's not difficult to get a CSCS card. You just have to pay about twenty five quid to answers multiple choice questions that a monkey could fathom the answer to. Like I said it's a scam but you can't work on site without one. It's no different to the banking scam; a scam is a scam and they all based on the morals of a Mafia protection racket!
    And this is just the beginning. It won't be long before you can't get a job unless you have a barcode tattooed on your forehead!
    Don't say you weren't warned!

6. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Come the revolution brothers ! come the revolution !

Power to the People !

Citizen Smith aka Chekhov.

(....some of you will be too young to remember him....) :)

7. JOCK 2004

JOCK 2004 New Member

Very well said Chekhov I totally agree. I dont have a cscs card all my work is private work that way I know whom I am working with and for. I have absolutely no intentions of getting one just to prove I can do a job and do it well and also having the "honour" of working with eastern europeans" on building sites ARGH!!! NOT A BLOODY CHANCE

8. chippie84

chippie84 New Member

the good old cscs card.i done my c.s.c.s card as recently as july and as others have said it is aload of rubbish and a government scam.over here in northern ireland its called the (csr) card if you have an nvq level 3 qualification you automatically get a gold gold card after the health and safety test which lasts one day.if you dont have nvq then you can be assesed by on site assessment training where all yer work counts towards an nvq.over here in belfast we dont have the on site assessment training.after the health and safety course an assessor of joinery asks us a few questions of we can do or cant do.taking into account expierence etc and then at the end he determines what colour card you get.over ways would be to produce evedience of past jobs yoube done,via photos,refrences,etc,its a big ball ache mate but as of next year the cscs card will be compulsory on all sites..basicaly no card no work..i hope this infomation helps mate,and ive only based it on when i done mine.others might be different.

9. trowelmeister

trowelmeister New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys,by the way if there's anyone in the somerset/dorset area that needs a hand in first and second fix work for a day or two a week,i'll work for diesel money,cheers.

10. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Yeah, I remember "Wolfie Smith". In the early days of the "Cold War" is was fashionable to poke fun at "Neo Trots". However back then non of us would have dreamed that a Labour government in the 21st century could be more right wing than a Tory one. Also we didn't know we were being led into Europe under false pretences. Legally we don't actually belong to the EU and Ted Heath should be charged with treason for selling our sovereignty over to Brussells. The real problem is most people don't know anything about the truth behind what is going on and has gone on and what the consequences of our membership of the EU really are.
    For anyone who wants to know (and you should because it affects all of us)I recommend this book: "The Organisation For the Preservation Of Individuality And Sovereignty" (The O.F.P.I.S File) by Vernon Coleman. Blue Books. Publishing House, Trinity Place, Barnstaple, Devon, EX32 9HG. Don't let the title put you off,it's just a common sense guide into how we got into this mess in the first place.
    The CSCS card scam is nothing compared to the corruption at the heart of the plan to establish a Federal European State.
    The problem with fascism is the same as the problem with cirrhosis of the liver; by the time you find out you have it it's too late to do anything about it.
    "Citizen Smith" was very funny back in the 1970's. I'm not sure it would get the same laughs if they broadcast it in 2008!

11. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Oh and by the way, for those who haven't yet forked out twenty five quid for the privilege of being treated like a complete numptie, there is a book you can buy which gives you all the answers to the questions in advance. Don't buy it. Like I said a monkey could answer them and here's an example;
    You must remove nails from scrap wood because:
    A:someone could stand on an upright nail and injure their foot.
    B: scrap wood and scrap metal must be put in separate skips
    C:(I promise I'm not making this up) the site will run out of nails!
    D:the wood will take up more room in the skip
    They give you 40 minutes to answer moronic questions like this. I'm sorry but someone is taking the ****!

12. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Cheers for that Chekhov. I always thought it was because they could stick in the apprentices head when you abuse/ beat him for not putting the kettle on quick enough. :)

13. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

just remember that you will have to demonstrate to mrs. client that you are proficient in opening up a pair of steps each morning whilst she is changing a ****** nappy.