Yet Another Shower Extractor Fan Question:

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Surj, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Surj

Surj New Member

Hi All,

I've tried to research this a fair bit to avoid duplicating previously answered questions but I couldn't find the exact answer I was after.

Here goes: I want to install an extractor fan in my bathroom (where there hasn't been one previously) as I've noticed quite a bit of condensation on the surfaces after taking a shower or having a shave with very hot water.

My initial plan was to install a ceiling mounted fan that I'd install a seperate pull cord switch for, using the feed from the existing pull cord that operates the bathroom light, so that I'm able to control when I want the fan to be on i.e. I won't want it on all the time that the light is on.

Is this a sound plan?

If not, how could I go about achieving this?

All help is appreciated.

2. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

your basic idea is sound .

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi surj

I have recently installed a fan that was switched from a ceiling mounted PIR sensor. This enables the fan to operate independently of the room light (which isn't always needed). The PIR includes a timer function so you can purchase a simple on/off switched fan without the need for a timer function. The advantage of this type of arrangem,ent is you will only activate the fan when the bathroom is occupied and it will auto switch of when the person leaves. I would recommend it in preferance to a second pull-cord switch which won't look as clutterd on your ceiling. If you wire the ceiling mounted PIR through a triple pole isolator then you can add extra control and isolation to your PIR and fan by turning it off.

Don't forget that unless the switch contains one, you will need a neutral to your fan. Switches don't (usually) have one in them. So it would be best to take your supply for the fan from the existing light point.

4. Surj

Surj New Member

into the "fan" pull switch?

Or would I need a switched live in there somewhere?

5. Surj

Surj New Member

Ignore my last reply: I typed a whole reply and it wiped most of it!

With regards to the wiring of a 2nd pull cord switch would I take the live, neutral and earth from the "lights" pull switch? or would I need a switched live to operate the fan?

FYI, I've already got the fan and it's a simple on/off affair and doesn't have a timer on it.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi again

You won't need a fan fitted with a pull-cord if you are ceiling mounting. Ceiling mounting fans are usually "in-line" which means the fan itself is remote from the intake bezel. These are best in a bathroom because the fan is mounted well away from water jets. If you buy the simple on/off switched fan there are just two terminals, switched live and neutral, you just tuck the cpc away and terminate it in a loose single terminal block.

7. Surj

Surj New Member

Oh I see.

Cool, I'll take a closer look at the inputs of the fan to absolutely sure. I may bump this thread in a few days time if it's not an in-line fan.

Thanks for your patience dude.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Sorry replies crossed in post. :)

You take your T&E from the ceiling light in to the new pull-cord switch, and another T&E out to the fan. Join your neutrals inside the switch base using a standard terminal block, wire the cpcs on to the lug provided in the switch base and your lives go one to each side of the switch terminlas.

9. Surj

Surj New Member

OK, I'm confuzzled now, lol.

Will it be an inline fan with 2 terminals? or will I need go through with additional switch and wiring?

Thanks

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Sorry for confusion. You will still need your additional ceiling mounted pull-cord switch to switch the fan on/off as per your original post. The refewrence to in-line is just a type of fan thats all. An in-line fan refers to the fact is mounted remote in a tube rather than mounted direct to the wall or ceiling so the tube or duct is attached to the inlet and outlet of the fan instead of just the outlet.

The number of terminals inside the fan will be the same.

11. Surj

Surj New Member

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll take a look and confirm back, but I'm pretty sure the fan isn't as you described. I'm pretty sure it's to be surface mounted onto the ceiling.

I'll let you know but thanks for your help so far :)

12. oozzin

oozzin New Member

is there a shower pully with a fused that u can run a fan off.. so the fan comes on when u turn the shower on,,?not seen 1,,