Kitchen tap Hot Water problem- Help!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Surj, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Surj

Surj New Member

Hi All,

The hot tap on my kitchen mixer isn't working properly. It doesn't turn any further than 1 complete turn and only a trickle of water comes out before it stops altogether. My initial thoughts are that it's the washer as I've been told that they have a habit of seizing or snapping when in the closed position.

Anyone know if this tends to be the case? Also, how should I go about taking the tap apart? I'd obviously switch the stopcock to the off position and then try to remove the tap cover but I've never had to do this before so I'm not sure what comes after that. Also, are washers a standard size or will I need to take it with me to the shop to get an appropriate replacement?

All help is appreciated.

2. ponty 01

ponty 01 New Member

tap needs to be overhauled or even replaced,sounds like your not a confident diy'er. get a plumber in or someone who does have the confidence, only a five minute job.

3. Surj

Surj New Member

I'm not a bad DIYer without sounding too cocky, it's just that I've not had much plumbing experience in the past.

I take your point though, I'm not averse to getting someone in to do it. I just thought I'd try to establish whether I could save myself some pennies by doing it myself.

4. ponty 01

ponty 01 New Member

you need to know about your water system is it gravity or pressurised.all these need to be considered removing a hot tap insert without isolating correctly. any thing could happen.

5. Surj

Surj New Member

Our water is from a combi boiler (tankless) so I'd assume that means it's pressurised.

Fair enough though, it's fairly obvious this is one for a pro/more experienced person.

Thanks

6. ponty 01

ponty 01 New Member

ok, turn main stop tap off, open hot tap upstairs and down let hot drain then remove head by removing tap top then remove cover, under cover is a brass fitting undo the large brass nut at base this will remove the whole brass insert,overhaul then refit in reverse

7. Surj

Surj New Member

Thanks for the response.
    When I get to the "overhaul" stage, should I just be aiming to clean the moving parts generally and check for play etc? Will I need to apply any form of lubricant or any other special bits?